Question about developing slap/pop; some guidance needed

Discussion in 'General Instruction [BG]' started by Mudbass714, Jan 15, 2003.

1. Mudbass714

Jun 19, 2001
    Up to this point, I've been a bassist who never did any slap/pop stuff and usually stuck to jazz and nice complex riffs. I recently started learning the basics of slap- I know the proper technique and all that stuff now. So far though, the only song I've really been playing and practicing, and not feeling "overwhelmed" at all by is Higher Ground by The RHCP. Can anyone suggest any songs that may help me move along and develop my slap/pop talent, without getting that feeling of being too overwhelmed? Any help is greatly appreciated
  2. My Name is Mud - Primus. pretty simple line, sounds good, good practice for slapping. need a 5 string.
  3. Blackbird

Blackbird Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Mar 18, 2000
    Hey, Mudbass.

What's your right hand slap technique? If you are playing TDTDP (Thumb down, Thumb down, Pop), try playing the first note TD, then let your thumb go past the string and play the second one with an upward motion. (TU). Pop the last note as usual.

That's a Victor Wooten thing.
  4. Mudbass714

Jun 19, 2001
    Thanks to you two. Yes, My Name Is Mud is a song I didn't think of, thank-you for reminding me. And to the other post, right now i just do thumb down and pop patterns, but I'll definitely be sure to check out the upward motion slap thing and learn about that- should be pretty helpful. Thanks to both of you, I really appreciate your help here.