Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Question about different amounts of headroom with different cabs.

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by MorganM, Sep 4, 2002.

1. MorganM

MorganM

Dec 11, 1999
    I am going to be getting my Ampeg B-5R shortly and will be running it through a SVT-410HLF.

Since this can is a 4 ohm load the amp will be able to push a max of 350RMS watts.

Now with my question, would there be the same headroom with pushing one 4 ohm cab at 350 watts vs. 2 cabs for a total of 2 ohms at 350 watts.

Because the B-5R can push 500 watts at 2 ohms. Would I gain more headroom running my rig at 2 ohms vs. 4 ohms at the same level.

I hope I made my question clear.
    Can anyone shed some light?
    Thanks

2. Matthias

Matthias

May 30, 2000
    Vienna, Austria
    When you add another 410 cab two things come into play:
    - Your amp will put out a bit more power (increase from 350W to 500W isn't too much, double power would be a significant step)
    - You have doubled your speaker surface area, which is much more important.

When I add a 112 cab to my 112 combo the increase in volume is huge. This way I don't have to push the amp as hard to achieve the same volume, which means I have more headroom left.

When you use two 4Ohm 210's instead of one 4Ohm 410 I don't think that there would be a significant difference though (provided the 210s have about the same sensitivity as the 410, which is the case when they are of the same product line)

I hope this makes sense,
    Matthias