Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

question about dumb tabs

Discussion in 'Tablature and Notation [BG]' started by Janas, Jan 28, 2003.

1. Janas

Janas

Nov 25, 2002
    England
    Why do so many tabs tell you to go to the 7th or 9th fret or something like that when it's much easier to just go up to the next string and play the equivalent note there???!!!?

Janas:confused:

2. wulf

wulf

Apr 11, 2002
    Oxford, UK
    You'll find both good tabs and bad tabs telling you to go places you think don't make sense:

A good tab will do that because playing higher up the neck on a lower string gives a different sound to lower down the neck on a higher string - maybe the tabber can hear the difference or has seen the original bassist playing the line. It may also be that moving to a higher position puts you in a better position for the next phrase - the fingerboard doesn't go all the way up to the body just for decoration ;)

A bad tab will do that because that's the way the tabber plays it and they've never thought about the alternatives. It might also be a tab autogenerated by software - for example, taken from a midi file.

What you can do is try both options - which one sounds most like what you are trying to achieve with the song and works best for you?

Wulf

3. Janas

Janas

Nov 25, 2002
    England
    Hey man, that's cool thanks alot, i'm a bit of a newbie you see (about 3 months playing):cool:
    I'll try some of my tabs out differently. :D

Janas

4. wulf

wulf

Apr 11, 2002
    Oxford, UK
    That's the spirit - use them as a starting point; don't expect them to magically inject you with the ability to play like [insert name of favourite bassist here].

Wulf

5. Hategear

Hategear Workin' hard at hardly workin'.

Apr 6, 2001
    Appleton, Swissconsin
    Very intelligent answer, wulf. Thanks! ;)

6. Nick Gann

Nick Gann Talkbass' Tubist in Residence

Mar 24, 2002
    Silver Spring, MD

Tabs sure could magically make me play just like Hoppus did when I first started out ;)

7. Dave Castelo

Dave Castelo

Apr 19, 2000
    Mexico
    whoa good job wulf

respect +3