Question about EDENS....

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Grahams Groove, Dec 16, 2001.

1. Hey,
    I am looking seriously into getting a WT-500 to power my mesa boogie diesel 4x10.(Pretty efficient, and can handle 600 watts).
    But here's my questions:
    1)My ibanez sr-400 has pretty low output volume.(It's not the battery or anythign, thats just the way they are...), so even though the pre-amp in the bass is active, is it OK to plug into the passive jack in an eden head? Or any head for that matter? I know on the eden its a -14dB pad switch, but will it hurt anythign if i plug my bass in and keep that pad disabled to get a hotter/louder signal going into the amp?

2)If it IS bad to plug my active bass into a passive input, then is there any other way to boost my signal without using the amps volume control? It's just that I COULD get a more powerful amp and not worry about htis at all, but I would rather go with the lower powered eden head, and have superior quality...

3)How do you think an eden WT-500 would sound running a mesa diesel 4x10 for my type of applications? (see profile for styles)
  2. Most active basses are just fine using the passive preamp input. Only extraordinarily high output active bass circuits require the active input.

An Eden Amp with Mesa Cab's will be fine for our styles of music... However, you will get the urge for a matching Eden cabinet to go with the Eden head.
  3. You're supposed to plug in to the passive input. The active (or padded) input is for very hot output basses, such as some G&L's, Kubicki's etc.
  4. thanks a ton guys! Thats a huge relief for me, and now I know that for the future. And yes, I am allready thinking about when I could possibly have cash for a new cab, but I bought the mesa as a package deal with a nemesis combo, and I've sold the nemesis. So in the end the mesa cab only cost me $75.00. Yeah, not bad at all;) So I'm quite content for now, and idk if i would EVER get rid of it. At 75 bucks, it's ALWAYS worth having an extra cab.
    Thanks again,
  5. progplayer

Nov 7, 2001
    well i'm picking up my Eden WT-600 this Thursday (I hope) and I matching it up with my SWR Goliath III that handles up to 700w. I forgot the post but someone on this board actually told me the SWR cabs are a lot better than Eden cabs. The reason behind that was something with SWR's design? I can't seem to find the post looks like they deleted it, oh well.

I have a friend who is gonna let me borrow his SWR Junior Goliath 2x10 to match with my 4x10 to my new Eden WT-600, I can not wait. Even though I don't need that volume/headroom, I want to hear if the tone is different. Even so, the Goliath III alone should prove to be a good match with the wt-600, i hope, if not I'm gonna have to get an Eden cab, hahahahahahaha
  6. How do you plan on using the 4x10 and 2x10 together? You can only bridge that amp into 8 ohms or go 300 watts per side into 4 ohms. Are you gonna try out the bi-amp feature?
  7. progplayer

Nov 7, 2001
    u know what that is my next question to u pros out there! ;)

I assume just run the thing in stereo, I don't even know what Bi-amping is, can someone enlighten me on that?

All I know is for my band I'm just gonna use the Goliath III in bridged mono. I don't think I'll need another 2x10 or something. I like to keep things as minimal and simple as possible. I have a lexicon 100 and an old Ernie Ball volume pedal I might pull out but I like just straight out fretless tone...
  8. Bi-amping is when you use a crossover to split the sound at a certain frequency and send the two signals to separate power amps/speakers. For example sending the lower frequencies to a 1x15 and the highs to a 2x10. Check out the closeup of the WT-600 front panel here to see the controls:!wt-600close.jpg

Your SM-900 had this feature as well. Nothing like doing some research before making a major purchase....sigh.
  9. progplayer

Nov 7, 2001
    Well i never used bi-amping. Only stereo mode with the SM-900. With the wt-600 i'm just using it in mono. All i care about is the tone. It should sound pretty sweet through the goliath iii. i tested one out using an ampeg 4x10 and cranked it in the store and it sounded amazing to my ears. i hope i get the same effect with the swr cab!
  10. I hope it works out for ya! Where did you trade your SM-900 in? Maybe I'll go buy it! :D
  11. I have a WT-500 upgraded to 600watts. I use it just for back up or practice. I have a xlt210 that I keep around too. The Eden stuff is all right I guess. It just can't compare to the sound of my Mesa 400+ and even at 50 I don't care how heavy it is. I haven't found anything I like better. The tubes (Svetlana 6L6's) have lasted me 2-1/2 years and still sound great. I play out 2 or 3 times a month. I use a Mesa Boogie 1x15 and 2x10 almost all of the time. I have to admitt the Mesa 2x10 alone is not a stand alone box, but the 1x15 certainly is. It gets all the highs and mids I need being it is a full range set up. I got rid of my Eden xlt410 because it was to big to handle and the low end was hard to control. I would prefer the rear ported 410 by Eden to do it over again. I found out that my Eden speakers just didn't sound that great when I got out away from them. On stage they sounded real good. My Boogie rig is the sound I love. I'm currently looking for a backup/alternative rig to replace my Eden head. I have done many hours of experimenting in my studio and live, so this is not a fly by night opinion. Good Luck and Happy Holidays
  12. When you get your new head be sure not to run both cabs together in the bridged mode or you could cause it to shut down or worse.It's only rated at 8 ohms bridged. Just run one on each side like you did with your SM900.You probably knew this but it doesn't hurt to make sure.