1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Question about Effects send/return

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by bohemond, Aug 2, 2012.

1. bohemond

bohemond

Nov 3, 2007
    Hi I have a Carvin Bx500 and use the send return on the back of the amp to hookup my MadProf Blueberry pedal. I would like to run a tuner or Noise gate pedal as well/ can I run either the tuner or NS thru the front input of the amp where I am plugging the bass into.? Or does that have to go thru the back as well? As you can tell I am new to using anything but the amp and one effects pedal. Thanks

2. Jazz Ad

Jazz Ad Mi la ré sol Supporting Member

Put all your pedals in front of the amp, don't use the effect loop.

3. really you can use either one or both. your call.

4. matante

matante

Nov 3, 2003
    Los Angeles
    On most bass amps the effects loop is line-level and usually doesn't work well with pedals. You need to hook up your pedals both ways; first through the loop, and then before the amp input. Then decide which sounds better to you.

5. bohemond

bohemond

Nov 3, 2007
    Thanks for the advice everyone

6. I would definitely run the Blueberry and the noise gate ahead of the amp, not in the loop. The tuner is your call. The loop is more for rack effects used to dealing with line level, like high end compressors or modulation/delay/reverb signal processors. But there is nothing inherently wrong with using the loop even for dirt, I would definitely try the Blueberry out in front of the amp though I bet it will be much more touch responsive to your playing.

7. recreate.me

recreate.me

Apr 2, 2010
    Ontario
    Not to derail, but why would you avoid the effects loop ? I have heard that some pedals SHOULD be placed in the loop to avoid noise in the signal chain, and become more efficient etc...

8. Jazz Ad

As a general rule :

Pedals are designed to be used at instrument level.
    Racks are designed to be used at line level.

Instrument inputs are at instrument level (duh!).
    Effect loops are at line level.

The logical conclusion is to use pedals in front of the amp and rack effects in the effect loop.
    There are exceptions to the rule but it's a good basis.

9. MarTONEbass

MarTONEbass

Jun 19, 2009
    Norton, MA
    Not to derail further, but I have recently experienced unwanted distortion when using pedals in the effects loop of my BX500. Could this be due to the resoans you mentioned?

I guess I should try to use the effects in front of the amp first? I am a pedal noob, I just though all effects went through the loop.

10. Jazz Ad

Indeed, unwanted distortion and low output levels are typical issues you can experience when using pedals in the effect loop.

11. Gaius46

Gaius46

Dec 15, 2010
    For puposes of this you'd consider something like a GT10B to be a pedal?

When I use the GT10B I always put at instrument level. Wondering if that's sensible or not........

12. Jazz Ad

Like most modern multis, The GT-10B is designed to work fine at any level. Put it where you want.

13. MarTONEbass

MarTONEbass

Jun 19, 2009
    Norton, MA
    Thanks very much, you may have just saved my favorite amp!

14. Jazz Ad

IT won't hurt anything but most of the time it won't sound very good.

15. bohemond

bohemond

Nov 3, 2007
    My Blueberry does indeed sound better in fron of the amp and that is where I will run it from now on. Great advice

16. JimmyM

JimmyM

Apr 11, 2005
    Apopka, FL
    Endorsing: Ampeg Amps, EMG Pickups
    Good for you, dude. Effects loops suck. I don't even run line level gear in it.

17. Gaius46

Gaius46

Dec 15, 2010
    Why?

18. Jazz Ad

I don't do it either because unless you have all your gear in a rack, effect loop are not convenient at all. It takes double the cable and double the settings. You need to adjust whatever effect is in the loop every time you adjust the eq or gain on the amp.

Effect loops are useful when you create severe overdrive from your preamp, which is mostly a guitarist thing. On bass they remain unused most of the time.
    The question is not what don't you use it but rather, why would you?

19. Gaius46

Gaius46

Dec 15, 2010
    Ahh okay. In learning mode here. Thanks.

20. JimmyM

JimmyM

Apr 11, 2005
    Apopka, FL
    Endorsing: Ampeg Amps, EMG Pickups
    I see absolutely no advantage to it. Best I ever got out of an effects loop is as good as straight in, never better, and most of the time it sucks. So I don't even bother anymore.