1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Question about EHX small stones...

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by C-man, Jun 18, 2007.

1. C-man

C-man

Jun 15, 2007
    Hi,

I did my fair share of searching and I couldn't come up with any answers to a few questions I have about the EHX Small stones,

are there any advantages to buying the green sovtek small stones? if so why do they usually go for cheaper/about the same price as the newer ones? what are some opinions on purchasing:

A. A newer USA EHX small stone with the analogman mod
    B. A brand new USA EHX small stone
    C. A used green sovtek EHX smallstone

thanks everyone!

2. Jared Lash

Jared Lash Born under punches

Aug 21, 2006
    Denver, CO
    Someone with more knowledge on the subject can jump in if I'm off base here, but I haven't come across anyone who thought there was a big difference in sound between the USA and Sovtek model Small Stones. Not nearly the difference that there seems to be between models of Big Muff's.

And since the Analog man mod seems to focus on removing the volume drop problem that Small Stones are known for, I would suggest saving your money and getting a Nano Small Stone.

I loved the sound of mine and the volume drop problem was not noticeable. Best of all it's cheap and takes up very little real estate. That's my suggestion.

3. vic_6

vic_6

Dec 19, 2004
    Manila, Philippines
    the volume drop was only in the reissue US small stones from what i know.

never tried the russian one but never heard of any problems with it aside from the size.

i myself used to have the USA RI but sold it cuz of the vol drop. i recently got myself the small stone and i'm very happy with it. small, easy to power, more sturdy case, no vol drop. i think this is definitely a winner.

4. i'm getting a sovtek SS hopefully in the next week (shipping...)

I could compare it to a new phase 90 possibly

5. C-man

C-man

Jun 15, 2007
    thanks for the help guys,

real quick

Vic, when you said you were happy with your recent small stone purchase which small stone were you refering to?

and the Big O, I've tried out the USA small stone but not the nano, how do the two compare as far as sound goes?

6. vic_6

vic_6

Dec 19, 2004
    Manila, Philippines
    oops! sorry i meant the nano stone. i was talking about the nano on in my last paragraph :) sorry for the confusion.

7. C-man

C-man

Jun 15, 2007
    oh its no problem man, i figured you were talking about the nano but I just wanted to check:)

oh and sean, i'd be interested to hear what you thought about the green ss when you get it, I tried my guitarists phase 90 briefly and I wasn't really too happy with how the low end sounded.. the phase 90 gets a lot of respect from what I've read on here though so it coudl just be the way I had it set

8. masprague

masprague

May 6, 2007
    Dude I just picked up a NYC Small Stone tonight, and NO VOLUME DROP!!! I dont know if they fixed it or maybe it was only a problem for a few of them.....

But I feel the bigger full-sized pedals have more sex appeal than the nano brethren

9. Nano FTW! Cured my boutique phaser GAS for the most part.

10. keb

keb

Mar 30, 2004
    I have a NYC Small Stone, and I've noticed that I don't seem to get the volume drop if there's a buffer in front of it. But your mileage may vary and all that.

11. I had a phase 90. Great sound, but pretty noisy I thought. It has a constant whoosh going on.

12. DbNBassist

DbNBassist

Aug 12, 2006
    Britain
    When i got the USA Small Stone, and i first played through it i was like, "WOW! NO VOLUME DROP!!" then i played it in a band situation and my drummer was like "Dude, I can't here you when you step on that red pedal!" HUH!! VOLUME FROM!!! but i fixed it by putting it in front of a compressor.

13. masprague

masprague

May 6, 2007

Interesting....I this may give me an excuse to pick up a EHX Black Finger....hahaha, will it ever stop??

14. hoerni

hoerni

Jun 4, 2007
    NJ
    I'm curious about the newer small stones. I have a vintage one that I've used forever and love (plus a second vintage one I picked up broken).

I currently don't have a phaser on my bass board, but now I'm thinking about putting one there.

15. masprague

masprague

May 6, 2007
    You know, I have NEVER EVER been crazy about phaser. For the 15 years I have been playing guitar/bass on and off, never once thought about phaser.

Then last week i tried it on bass I just a subtle amount sounds so good, esp with overdrive, that now I dont know when to shut it off

16. JanusZarate

JanusZarate Low End Avenger

Feb 21, 2006
    Petaluma, CA, USA
    The Nano Small Stone fixes that "volume drop" by boosting the signal a bit.

IMO, there really isn't a "volume drop" on the previous USA model if you consider how the effect is designed. With the color switch off, it performs its effect on your full signal. With the switch on, it deliberately scoops your mids and intensifies the effect. That's why I'm glad they added some signal boosting to the Nano version.

17. C-man

C-man

Jun 15, 2007
    hmm well this all puts me almost back where i started.. I know these are probably two people i shoudln't be taking seriously when it comes to effects advice but my guitarist and some guy working at guitar center both said the nanos have a different sound from the regular small stones.. do you think they were talking about nano's in regards to guitar? because if so i'd assume its the same for the bass. I think i'll just try to find a small stone with the analogman mod or a green one somewhere, thanks guys!

18. Jared Lash

Jared Lash Born under punches

Aug 21, 2006
    Denver, CO
    As far as the new NYC Small Stones and the Nano go, I couldn't tell the difference sound-wise. Bear in mind that I never A/Bed them directly, but I have played both. I bought the Small Stone after playing with it in a store and really dug the sound, but the volume drop was too annoying for me to keep it.

When the Nano came out I bought it on a whim but ended up REALLY liking it. As far as I am concerned, I think EHX should discontinue the old Small Stone. The Nano has the same sounds, no volume drop, is true bypass, runs off a normal boss adapter plug and has a smaller footprint for a few bucks cheaper.

I don't want to sound like EHX's pimp for this thing as I have heard a few phasers that I thought were better, but with a jump in price tag as well. This thing kills everything else in its price range as far as I'm concerned.

19. DbNBassist

DbNBassist

Aug 12, 2006
    Britain
    NOOOOOOOOOOO!! The Nano looks rubbish, the original looks cool!

20. JanusZarate

JanusZarate Low End Avenger

Feb 21, 2006
    Petaluma, CA, USA
    Echoing TheBigO's experience, I didn't really notice a sound difference. If there's anything, it might be in the upper registers, which is why a nitpicky guitarist would be more likely to complain. But even though I've never directly A/B'ed them (I have owned both!), I didn't notice anything. There wasn't anything that screamed of differences other than that volume drop being gone.

If you haven't tried a Small Stone yet anyway, you won't want to once you get your hands on the Nano version. There is, IMHO, no real reason to go back to the original unless you are partial to the size of the older ones.

21. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Jan 27, 2021