Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Question about Elixir strings

Discussion in 'Strings [BG]' started by Ívar Þórólfsson, Jul 10, 2001.

1. Ívar Þórólfsson

Ívar Þórólfsson Mmmmmm... Supporting Member

Apr 9, 2001
    Kopavogur, Iceland
    Are they as good as they look?

I live in Iceland, and I stumbled into a music store that I haven´t been to in a long time. There I found Elixir strings, they look great and I really want to try them out. The only thing stopping me is the price. So I want to know if it´s worth trying them out.

I bought DR Low Riders the other day...they cost me around 35$ here in Iceland, but the Elixir strings will run me about 60$ I want to hear some REALLY good things about them before I buy them :)

2. RAM

RAM

May 10, 2000
    Chicago, IL
    There was recently a thread about Elixir's where people raved about them. However, I'm going back to my DR's.

The Elixir has a soft, spongy attack and is warm sounding. But, I like a little more definition in my high end and a stronger attack.

3. Flatwound

Flatwound Supporting Member

Sep 9, 2000
    San Diego
    I found the Elixirs to have a pretty strong attack. However, I must agree with RAM that they are a warm, rather than bright, sounding string. You certainly won't get the brightness you get from Lo-Riders. They do last a long time, though. My comments apply to the Polyweb strings, as I haven't tried the Nanowebs yet. They should be brighter.

4. StereoBassist

StereoBassist Guest

Jul 10, 2001
    Sparta, New Jersey
    They're definatley worth the money. i just put some on my bass, and u can tell the difference right from the start. they're great, they feel nice too. it feels as if its easier to go faster on them. not like your standard bass strings. these are by far the best strings out today.

5. oo0o00o0oo

oo0o00o0oo

Apr 30, 2000
    Chicago
    I liked the ones I used (Polyweb). Stayed on my bass for ~6 months.

6. I just put a set on the Nanos on my 5er last weekend. So far, so good. Very smooth on the fretless 'board. Not as bright as the Ken Smith's I was using, but not as noisy either.

7. ptuckerbass

ptuckerbass

Sep 12, 2000
    Orlando, Fl.
    I don't like to plug businesses, but Musician's Friend is selling soft top/reg bottom Elixirs for $20 a set right now. I don't know if they'll ship to you or if the shipping cost.

8. CYoung

CYoung

Nov 30, 2000
    Gainesville, FL
    I have a set of Elixir strings on my Peavey RSB. If you are a slap or pick-meister, they will not be your best choice. I find I like the warm tone and ease on the fingers. As soon as the strings on my fretless wear out, I am going to get a set for it. I may switch to a bit brighter string for the RSB, though.