Question about Elixirs

Discussion in 'Strings [BG]' started by chump stain, May 14, 2002.

1. I've been reading some pasts threads about Elixirs (cause I'm thinking of trying them), and I can't find the info I need.

my question is; is the B string tapered on Elixir Nanoweb strings?

I need a tapered B to fit properly in my bridge. and I think (from what I've read) that Nanowebs would be more "my" sound (brighter).
    what about the length? my bass is 35" scale, do they make 'em long enough?

one more thing, if I like these, I may try them on my fretless. would the Elixirs chew up a rosewood fretboard on a fretless?

2. well, I went and ordered some Elixir Nanowebs. I'll see how they do.
  3. Yeah, please let us know how you like them. I'm serioiusly thinking of giving them a try, Chump. I also can't stand to see anyone's thread get no response. :(

Mike J.
  4. I've used Elixir PolyWeb's for four years.
    The Regular's with the .050 G String.
    I prefer them over the NanoWebs.
  5. Donne, what's the difference in sound and feel between the Polys and the Nanos?

Mike J.
  6. I feel the PolyWeb's are "smoother" and better for slippery slides. They feel like "oiled" flatwounds, but sound like a perfectly broken-in nickel roundwound.

They last longer then NanoWebs.

I also use them because it saves the frets on my instrument and I don't get blisters on my fingers with extented playing.

When really digging in deep and the strings kind of "rattle" on a higher fret... Exilir's don't buzz as much as growl.

I'm an orginial Elixir user since they first appeared.
    I really enjoy NOT feeling the string windings and the accompanying "zipper" sound on slides.
    You can feel the windings more with the NanoWebs.

Comments on Exilir in general:

I like the .050 G because it "speaks" clearer, but not sharper.

Don't oxidize when just sitting around.
    (I've had new strings go bad by without playing much, but sitting around alot).

The string sound stays until the actual string itself is totally thrashed.

Once again, everyone has their own "cup of tea" and therefore YMMV.
  7. boogiebass

Aug 16, 2000
    I agree with everything Donne said. The only thing I'll add is that I prefer the Nanos in some cases because they're brighter. If you can afford to change 'em more often and like a brighter sound, you may like 'em better, too. They are definitely more traditional feeling and nowhere near as slippery as the polys. And no, the B's are not tapered.
  8. Mario Lewis

Mario Lewis

Jul 6, 2001
    Clinton, MD
    The newer sets of the Elixirs for 5 and 6 string basses comes with a taper wound B.

I prefer the poly's to the Nano. Those strings sound really good, and last a long time. That's not to say that they won't or don't ever die, they do. They just don't die as fast. They stay really bright for a while. I strongly recommend them. I wished that other string manuf. would bite the bullet and try the coating thing. (DID YA HEAR THAT Labella!!!)
  9. Thanks, Donne.(and everyone else) I think $50 and me just might go separate ways this weekend on a set. Now, I just have to think of which bass to try 'em on.

Mike J.
  10. thanks guys,
    I think I'll be happy with the Nanowebs. I'm still gonna give my slow wounds a couple more weeks worth of playing though, they still sound good.

when I ordered them from they had the nanowebs avalible with a tapered B or without.
  11. boogiebass

Aug 16, 2000
    Cool. Didn't realize they were offering the tapered B on the nanos. Good move.
  12. theJello

Apr 12, 2000
    I am sure alot of companies would like to.
    Gore has it patented though. Not Al Gore :D
    It took a long time to develop the process
    and material.
    I have tried another coated string and they sucked
    compared to elixirs.

These strings are incredible. Best things since sliced bread and electric basses in my opinion.
  13. eli

eli Mad showoff 7-stringer and Wish lover Supporting Member

Dec 12, 1999
    NW suburban Chicago
    Which ones? AFAIK the only other ones are D'Addario. 'Zat wachoo tried?
  14. theJello

Apr 12, 2000
    I havent tried the D'Addarios. I thought they just made coated acoustic guitar strings?
    Heck, if they do make coated bass strings I would try them.

The ones I tried are called Dave Wyres.
    I am pretty sure that is the name.
    It is a canadian company and you cant buy them in the states. But you can order them online.

They just sounded like dead strings to me. But who knows, maybe I got a bad set. I believe they are coated with teflon if I remember correctly.
  15. eli

Dec 12, 1999
    NW suburban Chicago

They're called D'Addario "EXP" bass strings.

I list the address because I love these guys and I want them to get business! Best prices on the web, everything seems to be in stock, and tremendous customer service to boot. Can't go wrong. No commercial interest, just a satisfied customer!
  16. theJello

Apr 12, 2000
    Yup, I buy all my strings from them also.

So, have you tried those D'Addarios yet?
    If so, write a review please!
  17. eli

Dec 12, 1999
    NW suburban Chicago
    Well, I just put new Elixirs on both my basses in February... maybe I'll need some EXP's some time around June '03... :cool:
  18. Word.
  19. theJello

Apr 12, 2000
    Yeah, of next year :D

Well, let us know how it goes and if they stand up to elixirs. I dont see how they could be better but you never know.
    I would try them but I just bought some new elixirs also.
  20. Makatak

Apr 13, 2002
    New Zealand
    Elixir ........isnt that a Fourplay album ?