Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

question about equalizers

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by ardorx, Dec 24, 2004.

1. ardorx

ardorx

Sep 23, 2004
    Sugar Land, TX
    if i'm running 2 different cabinets from one power amp, will i need a 2 channel eq?

2. dadodetres

dadodetres

Dec 19, 2004
    URUGUAY
    depending were you put the eq, also, do you have a crossover? ar you using only a pre amp and the power amp? or more things in the rack?

3. IvanMike

IvanMike Player Characters fear me... Staff Member Supporting Member

Nov 10, 2002
    Middletown CT, USA
    no.
    It sounds like you're planning to use a preamp, an eq and a power amp right? Unless you need to eq the cabinets differently, you can use a 1 channel eq. I would tend to put the eq in the effects loop of the preamp, and then send the preamp outs to the poweramp.

4. ardorx

ardorx

Sep 23, 2004
    Sugar Land, TX
    well, i'm planning to use my old head as a preamp...if it will work. can i use my behringer bx3000t as a preamp? i have it ready to rackmount. i cant find a dealer who sells sansamp rbi's anywhere.

5. qveda

qveda

Apr 3, 2002
    Hi IvanMike,
    assuming you could use the same EQ settings for both cabs, how would your insert one channel of EQ into both preamp channels?

-Qua

6. IvanMike

Nov 10, 2002
    Middletown CT, USA
    you'd have to use it in the effects loop of the preamp. If there was no effects loop you'd have to run the eq before the preamp. If by both channels you mean both full range outs of the preamp, running in the effects loop or before the preamp would do this. Alternately you could run a full range out of the preamp into the eq and then use a splitter cod to run the output of the eq into both channels of the poweramp.

I'm not sure if the behringer head in question can be used as a preamp. If it has a 1/4" line out it can, and many effects send jacks also function as a preamp out.

7. qveda

qveda

Apr 3, 2002
    Oh, I think I misunderstood the orig concept.

what if you have a 2chnl preamp (or two separate single chnl preamps) , and only a single chnl EQ (like a nice 1U parametric).

If the preamp has inserts I guess you could run a splitter cable so each FX loop went through the single EQ in/out. that way you could still have 2 outputs going to a 2chnl power amp.

If no inserts, then not sure what you could do.

8. IvanMike

Nov 10, 2002
    Middletown CT, USA
    nope. a splitter cable is NOT a mixer. Not only that, but then the output of the eq would contain both preamp signals so the signal returning to each preamp would contain both preamp's send signals. I can't think of a bass preamp or head that has two completely seperate channels with their own inputs and outputs except for the alembic F2-B. The F2-B doesnt have effect loops. If you're really set on using an eq in that situation and just have one single channel eq, you'd have to use it before the preamps and then split the output to feed both preamps. Most 2 channel heads/preamps only have one channel functioning at a time, and if they have an effects loop it works on both channels (one at a time).