Question about Ernie Ball Music Mans

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Rafterman, May 23, 2001.

1. i was wondering....

Music Mans have that one big humbucker close to the bridge right?...then doesn't that mean that it is prone to picking up really trebly sounds?...and how comfortable does it feel?...when i play i rest my thumb on the humbucker closer to the neck...when i play close to the bridge, i get an unwanted metallic sound, and the string does not sound full and barely vibrates...i was wondering, what makes it a good bass (fell-wise)???
  2. leftybassdog

leftybassdog Senior Supporting Member

The music man stingray has a great sound, the sound is a mix of a 2 band active pre-amp and hardwood body, you can change sounds and get a very fat thumbing tone, I think it was Leo Fenders best work !
  3. snyderz

Aug 20, 2000
    AZ mountains
    Ditto. I can get any sound I want out of my Stingrays. Balance is fine for me. I play fretless basses, and play close to the neck, so the single pickup is fine for me and my sound. If you like to rest your thumb on your pickup, then a MM is probably not your bass.
  4. some people but a thumbrest in the picguard to solve this problem. and even if you rest your finger on the pickup, it doesnt sound treblely suprisingly.
  5. Got my Ray about a year ago, and experienced your exact problem. My other bass is a jazz and I had always planted my thumb on the neck side P.U. and also found planting on the humbucker put me too close to the bridge. I also considered mounting a thumb rest. Anyway I'm glad to say I didn't and after only a few weeks I developed more of a floating thumb with occasional rest on the E. This was one of the best moves technique wise I,ve made in years. The added reach, dexterioty, muting capabilities and overall comfort has been a revelation in my playing . Thank You Stingray for getting my thumb unplanted.

p.s. Its also the finest bass under 1500. I've ever played.
  6. jasonbraatz

Oct 18, 2000
    Oakland, CA

absolutely true. i LOVe my sterling to death.

7. I would play one if the questions relate to a purchase. I had one for about 5 months nice bass but wasn't my cup of tea.