Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

question! about essex

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by bassist6464, Jun 14, 2004.

1. bassist6464

bassist6464

Jun 12, 2004
    If i bought a essex jazz bass would i really have to file the frets!! and i would have to check/resoder the electronics :rollno: or can i play it out of the box

2. Flatwound

Flatwound Supporting Member

Sep 9, 2000
    San Diego
    Maybe si, maybe no. I have an Essex that worked fine out of the box. I traded necks with another TB'er, and it still works fine. So my experience has been good, and Kurt warranties these things, so if you have electronics problems, you could send it back.

3. Josh Curry

Josh Curry

May 29, 2003
    Frisco, TX
    Dude, really, there's a MEGA thread about Essex basses. Look there.

4. jondog

jondog

Mar 14, 2002
    NYC metro area
    Fret filing, no.
    New Electronics, no.
    Intonation/Setup, probably.

Do a search for the Essex Megathread. It's huge so just read the last 5 or 10 pages and you'll be up to date.

If you don't know how to do your own setup, set aside $20-$45 and ask the tech to let you watch so you can learn.

5. Figjam

Figjam

Aug 5, 2003
    Boston, MA
    And stop being so exclamatory. Most of your posts have at least one exclamation point. Its damn anoynig.,

STOP!!!!!!!!!!!!!!1!!!11!one

6. sheepdog

sheepdog

Feb 20, 2003
    Birmingham, AL
    I have an SX. It was owned by another person, but all I had to do was an intonation/neck adjustment on it. Pickups sound great, pots are solid with no noise, no problem with uneven frets. Heck, even the cheap tuners stay in tune pretty good.

7. gavintheguy

gavintheguy Guest

Feb 5, 2004
    No problems with my Essex.

8. adouglas

adouglas

Jun 23, 2003
    Bridgeport, CT
    What they all said.

I bought a Jazz at the Rondo Music retail store in NJ last week. See my posting in the megathread...

I spotted some fret problems on a couple of the guitars and basses in the store, but most of what I picked up was just fine...though every single instrument I touched needed a setup.

I've heard but do not know for a fact that they do check out the instruments that are mail ordered before they get shipped. It really, seriously looked to me as if the ones in the retail store were just pulled out of the box and hung on the wall without even being tuned.

Note also that there's a new headstock design, which IMHO sucks. But that's just me.

They're a great deal anyway, even if you have to have a local tech dress the frets.

9. Whafrodamus

Whafrodamus

Oct 29, 2003
    Andover, MA
    Darn n00bit. Look in the megathread.