Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

question about essex!!!!

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by bassist6464, Jun 15, 2004.

1. bassist6464

bassist6464

Jun 12, 2004
    are the essex basses full size there 45 inches long 20 frets is that full size. also i have looked at the mega thread and nothing about this has shown and dont tell me to search just freakin answer it ok TB is awesome!

2. sheepdog

sheepdog

Feb 20, 2003
    Birmingham, AL
    NO, DO A SEARCH.....JEEZ!!

:rolleyes:

pssst....they are 34" unless otherwise marked. Some Brice are available 35" and some SX are short scale

:p

3. Eyescream

Eyescream

Feb 4, 2004
    Knoxville, TN
    SEARCH! FOR THE LOVE OF GOD SEARCH!

"regular" size basses come normally in 34", 35", or (rarely) 36" scales. There are larger, like Carl Thompson likes to make, and there are smaller, or short scale basses that are usually 30" to 32" inches in scale.

This 45" measurement you found has absolutely nothing to do with the scale length of the instrument.

Also: I thought your dad had several super expensive instruments that were the best things in the whole world. Why aren't you playing them, instead of agonizing about a $150 jazz copy. It's cheap, just buy the stupid thing. If you like it, good. If not, change the pickups and maybe you will. At worst, you're out $150 and you'll have something for your kids to play on in a few years.

Jesus. You've posted like 12 threads about these so far. Calm down.

4. When they list the Essex basses as 45" long they mean from the tip of the headstock to the bass of the body. Most of them have a 34.5" scale length (1/2 and inch longer than a normal 4-string) which would give tighter lower strings.

5. Eyescream

Eyescream

Feb 4, 2004
    Knoxville, TN
    i edited my post so that I would be more helpful. Thanks for the advice, though. :rolleyes:

6. sheepdog

sheepdog

Feb 20, 2003
    Birmingham, AL

Just read all of the other threads. This guy deserved your initial response.

My reaction was not due to your response to him, but due to the number of people here who take it upon themselves to act as moderators. I have been told more than once to "do a search" even though I attempted a search and didn't find what I was looking for. If a thread needs moderating, I will gladly defer to those who have that in their title.

7. Eyescream

Eyescream

Feb 4, 2004
    Knoxville, TN
    Oh, well alright then.

For what it's worth, I can't help but disagree with part of your post. I think that part of what can help to make a forum great is when the members police themselves. That shows that they really care about the forum and how well it serves it's purpose (even though a lot of the "do a search" replies are made out of frustration with answering the same thing all the time, I'm sure). I've moderated on forums where the membership wants to play cat-and-mouse games with the staff, and that sucks the fun out of it for everybody.

8. y get an essex if you can have a $2000 fender?

9. Eyescream

Eyescream

Feb 4, 2004
    Knoxville, TN
    My question exactly!

10. you dont think he made it up do you ;)

11. sheepdog

sheepdog

Feb 20, 2003
    Birmingham, AL
    I would buy a $2000 Fender.....as long as it said "Sadoswky" on the headstock.

12. frederic b. hodshon

frederic b. hodshon Supporting Member

May 10, 2000
    Lake Forest, CA
    None.
    used, of course.

good luck even then. :)

f

13. OiBass

OiBass

Apr 9, 2003
    Columbus,OH
    Do a search -
    Of your house-
    Find your Father and ask him-
    you are obviously nenervous asking strastrangers
    questions about essex-

14. Whafrodamus

Whafrodamus

Oct 29, 2003
    Andover, MA
    GAAH! You're really annoying. It is full scale, 34.5" scale which is aboot full. It says on the site.

15. john turner

john turner You don't want to do that. Trust me. Staff Member Administrator

Mar 14, 2000
    atlanta ga
    many times in situations like this i will just put a link to the proper search query. not to be snide, in fact, to avoid being snide by giving some substantive answer.

16. john turner

john turner You don't want to do that. Trust me. Staff Member Administrator

Mar 14, 2000
    atlanta ga
    btw, let's lighten up some on this kid. obviously he's new to this, so let's be a bit more welcoming :). (he does need to add at least some proper punctuation though).

17. Eyescream

Eyescream

Feb 4, 2004
    Knoxville, TN
    If he did, he had me hook, line, and sinker. :D

18. Eyescream

Eyescream

Feb 4, 2004
    Knoxville, TN
    SMASH: You're right on, dude. the point of this excersize with new members is to instruct them on how to get the answers they want. It's not even limited to just the forum. Google is also a helpful resource.

I think it's the speeling and grammer (;)) that turn people off most when they're being battered with questions. I know that I personally am immediately uninterested in anything beyond a cursory glance at the post if it reads like somebody vomited a bowl of alphabet soup onto the floor. I'll be happy to share what little bit I know with anybody, but not if I have to work to help them when they're not willing to help themselves.

For what it's worth, I'll try though.

19. sheepdog

sheepdog

Feb 20, 2003
    Birmingham, AL

that would be the proper way.

and once again, sometimes searches don't yield the result that the person was looking for. Further searches at that point wouldn't be helpful no matter how many people say "do a search". If it isn't there, it isn't there. Not applicable in this situation, but that is my personal rant based on previous experience.