Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Question about expanding musical creativity

Discussion in 'General Instruction [BG]' started by ahhelpme, Aug 15, 2005.

1. ahhelpme

ahhelpme

Aug 26, 2004
    Does it come with experience mainly? I really want to learn all the theory stuff but Im having a hard time understanding it all on hte internet, and it would be easier to have someone how me, so im going to try and get a bass tutor.But ive gotta find some cash.

But is musical creativity something that comes naturally with experience or does it only flow naturally when you have learnt all of the scales, chords, arpeggios etc?.

2. In regard to your last question, both are correct. Musical creativity comes naturally with experience. Musical creativity flows when you have learned [and practiced] all of the scales, chords, and arpeggios [and theory].

3. Musical creativity comes when you can picture music in your head, and when you know how to accomplish what you've imagined. So experience is a part of it, because if you've played enough notes you start to know where they are, and scales and theory are part of it, because they give you understanding about the notes you play, and technique is part of it, because it lets you play the music you think of. All part of it, but they aren't all of it. If all you have is those three you'll be able to play difficult scales and arpeggios at blazing speeds. But you also need to be able to think of interesting music to play, and you won't learn that skill without practicing it. You can (and should) start that now. Interesting music doesn't have to be hard to play, and it doesn't have to follow any rules.

Musical creativity comes when you're experienced at making creative music; it doesn't come just from experience playing music. So practice is needed on both fronts. Listen to creative music, like 3, Primus, Zia, and Charles Mingus (I just shuffled through a stack of CDs). Soak it up like a sponge, and create your own music when you pick up the bass to play around. Don't worry about scales or chords, but play whatever you feel like playing. Theory is good to know, but it's not the key to creativity.