question about extended range basses

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by linebacker51, Nov 15, 2002.

1. i was looking around the conklin website and i notice that some of the basses had 36 frets. Are frets 1-24 still in the same place or are they lower or whatever?

a good description would be very much appreciated!

thanks in advance
  2. Chasarms

Chasarms Casual Observer

May 24, 2001
    Bettendorf, IA USA
    The scale of the bass doesn't change, so I would say that yes, the lower frets are "in the same place."

The 36-fret Conklin basses have a very deep cutout to allow access to the third register and an extended upper horn to balance the bass. The deep cutout makes the body smaller and the weight of the neck as a percentage of the weight of the bass is greater. The balance point of the bass is more toward the neck than you would typically see.

If anything, The longer upper horn makes the bass center on your body more, moving the bridge back a bit toward your right hand. The lower frets actually feel a little closer to you.

Remember that the third register on a bass is the same as the second on a guitar, so the whole octave only takes up 8-9". As the picture shows, the bass isn't that distorted from what you typically see.

BTW, I have had the wonderful pleasure of playing a Conklin custom. His work is outstanding. I found them to be very comfortable when strapped on.
  3. thanks
    that's just what i was looking for