1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Question about Fat Mike of NOFX fame...

Discussion in 'Bassists [BG]' started by haxality, Mar 24, 2006.

1. haxality

haxality

Feb 14, 2006
    Hey all, I was wondering if anyone knows what kind of bass he plays. I saw them live recently and his bass was something else. It looked like it had been converted from a guitar or something, and it had 2 lipstick pickups. It was really strange. Any input would be vastly appreciated.

2. Folmeister

Folmeister Knowledge is Good - Emile Faber Supporting Member

May 7, 2003
    Tomball, Texas
    I read somewhere that he used Danelectros because of his back problem.

3. screwball

screwball

Jul 25, 2004
    Manchester UK
    [​IMG]

Yep, he now plays Danelectros

4. OKOKOK
    I know this one!

He plays a Danelectro DC longscale Bass. Two 50's Lipstick pickups.
    I used to have one, light as a feather. Plywood & Masonite. Semi-Hollow :)

Thats live though, I think its P-Bass all the way in the studio.

5. haxality

haxality

Feb 14, 2006
    Holy crap, thanks guys! Any idea where I could get one of those? I thought it looked really cheap, but once he started playing it I was astonished at the sound.

6. haxality

haxality

Feb 14, 2006
    *bump* Does ANYONE know a store online that carries these, or am I gonna need to scour the tiny hole-in-the-wall music shops to find one? Thanks for the input so far!

7. 311fan

311fan

Jul 20, 2004
    Salt Lake City
    Check ebay. There are usually a few on there for cheap.

8. haxality

haxality

Feb 14, 2006
    Thanks 311, I actually already checked and I couldn't find a single DC bass on there. Tons of effects pedals and DC guitars, but no bass. I guess I'll just keep an eye out for one.

9. Oh man look at his shirt. That is quite awesome... haha.

10. haxality

haxality

Feb 14, 2006
    I enjoy NOFX shows because you get stand up comedy AND music! It's like a 2-for-1 deal!

11. Has Fat Mike... lost weight?!? It looks like it rom my POV, but the world may never know.

12. dumbassist

dumbassist

Sep 5, 2005
    OH!!! I KNOW THIS ONE!!! U Can Get it online...
    http://www.danguitars.com/BassGuitars.html

its currently out of stock though...

i used to gas abt em...i like the tone he gets when he plays his songs, esp dinosaurs will die...

he uses it at the studio too...

the reason i USED TO is because i heard that he hates the bass and hes playing them ONLY because its light and won't hurt his back...

:meh:

now im gassing abt YAMMIES!!!

13. scuba steve

scuba steve

Dec 28, 2005
    Hillsboro, Tx
    your kidding right?!

14. haxality

haxality

Feb 14, 2006
    Why would he be kidding? It is an awesome shirt.

15. how the hell are you supposed to hear the bass guitar in punk music anyway?!

16. Justin V

Justin V

Dec 27, 2000
    Alameda, CA
    You've obviously never heard a punk song with a good mix. I find the bass to be really easy to hear on most any semi-well produced punk song. As long as the everyone's not scooping the hell out of their mids.

On Fat Mike: Seeing the Danelectro makes me want to try one out now. Just what I need. MORE G.A.S.

On another NoFx related note, El Hefe is the resident rock star in this area. I've seen him at a couple gigs we've played with a band whose EP he produced. From all accounts that they've given me, he's kind of a flake.

17. ElBajista

ElBajista

Dec 13, 2005
    Sebring, FL

+1! Didn't you know it's cool to be anti-bush? get with the program, dude!!!1 Ur such a geEk.

:rolleyes:

18. Get it? There's a Swastika on his forehead. OMFG LOL

19. haxality

haxality

Feb 14, 2006
    I dunno, normally I lean towards an intelligent approach to politics, but bush has earned his ridicule well. Thus, I have no problem with 5th-grade level insults to his character.
    Also,

+1!

20. I have a defretted DC and the bass sounds darn good. It sounds a lot more like a J bass than I thought it ever would, and the neck is nicely profiled too. If you are looking for one keep an eye on all Dano bass options because I have seen them listed with many different names including "shorthorn" and "U2" bass. Not the band U2, but dano made guitar models U1 for single pickup and U2 for dual pickup so some places carry that over even though it isn't correct.

+1 on Fat Mike. He also rocks with Me First and the Gimme Gimmes.