1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

question about FENDER 62 Reissue Precision bass

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by torza, Apr 17, 2010.

1. torza

torza

Sep 20, 2005
    so i'm about to possibly get my hands on a 62 Reissue bass neck. i was going to replace my old (1998) neck on my American Standard P Bass. i was wondering, how different are these necks? i know they're both Rosewood, but is the playability different from the old 62's compared to the more modern P basses? thanks!

2. waynobass

waynobass

Feb 27, 2008
    Texas
    If it's like a CIJ 62RI I recently played, it will be wider at the nut, more curved fretboard (smaller radius), and shallower front to back. And the frets were thinner. I liked it a lot.

3. Yes smaller frets will be a big difference , i find sliding and hammering easier with vintage style frets . Different finish as well

4. CapnSev

CapnSev

Aug 19, 2006
    Coeur d'Alene
    I think this is pretty much dead-on. I LOVE the small frets on the reissue. I wish Fender would put them on more of their basses.

5. hairscrambled

hairscrambled Commercial User

Feb 1, 2006
    Albuquerque, NM
    Store owner, Grandma's Music & Sound
    Also no graphite rods. Just a truss rod.

6. torza

torza

Sep 20, 2005
    i've never played anything with smaller frets. could it really be that different? also, i do like the "flat" feel of the modern fender necks. do the 62 reissues really have a more curved feel?

7. hairscrambled

hairscrambled Commercial User

Feb 1, 2006
    Albuquerque, NM
    Store owner, Grandma's Music & Sound
    Small frets are cool and the and RI fingerboards have more curve. They feel great. Leo knew what was right.

8. lpdeluxe

lpdeluxe Still rockin'

Nov 22, 2004
    Deep E Texas
    +1 on the frets. I have a '51 RI, a Classic '50s, and an AV '57, all with the small frets. I'd hate to go back to the big ones -- I get cool slides up and down the neck, almost like a fretless. I really prefer the flatter fingerboard, but that's not a deal breaker. In fact, the only one I have with the larger radius is a P fretless.

Nobody has mentioned the other feature the reissues all share: backwards tuning keys. Again, three out of four of mine have 'em (maybe I ought to track down a set for the fretless, just to be consistent).:D

9. D.M.N.

D.M.N. (O)))) Supporting Member

Oct 6, 2008
    Los Angeles, CA
    Probably the most comfortable neck I've ever played. Big difference is the nitro finish on the back of the neck. Personally, I love it, prefer it to satin finished necks. Then there's the frets, which are really nice, I can't really get into the bigger frets on the standard Americans anymore. Also, as mentioned, the nut is wider on the 62, 44.5mm compared to 41.3mm. And what I like about it best? That its quite shallow, not thick back to front. It's supposedly C shape, but then so is the Standard, though it says "Modern C shape". All I know is that it's a really good neck.

10. bassplayeroreo

bassplayeroreo

Jun 8, 2009
    Tel Aviv
    I have a 62 reissue, probably the best neck I've ever played. The nitro finish on the neck is fantastic, I hate playing Fenders with satin finishes now. The radius is smaller, so the fretboard's rounder, which I very much love. And the neck shape is very comfortable. Just an incredible neck.

11. bcolins

bcolins

Nov 16, 2007
    San Antonio, TX
    :hyper: