1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Question about Fender Geddy MIM Pickups

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by Bassman8416, Mar 11, 2013.

1. Bassman8416

Bassman8416 Supporting Member

Oct 18, 2004
    Long Island,New York
    Does anyone actually know what pickups they are. I have read on few threads that these are Fender Originals. I called Fender Customer service and got a guy who read something in front of him saying they are Vintage Style Jazz bass pickups-single coil.......so when asked are they originals he read the same thing again. Anyone?

2. exidor

exidor

Jul 10, 2011
    Detroit,MI
    Great question I don't know if you will get the answer you want but I can attest to this
    I have a 2006 Geddy it came with the raised & beveled polls very bright sounding but not a lot of low end or mids witch bummed me out it sounded good at home but time and time again playing live it got lost in the mix it was thin and not aggressive played with my amp my sans amp name it.I've had it since last Aug.so I took my Geddy franken bass it has the pickups from the first run limited edition 1998 I believe,and a Mexican jazz body dead sounding and a neck from the last run of MIJ Geddy basses.the first run pickups are flat poles that stick up a small amount on the rear D & G string .so I swapped them pick ups last Friday.things I found
    winter2013layedoff102_zps28b93e44.
    winter2013layedoff099_zpsb83011ba.
    winter2013layedoff106_zps16e7a60b.
    winter2013layedoff107_zpscd5eabd8.
    the first run has bright copper and it looked to me they had more wiring,the 2006 were blk color & less wire witch explain the thin sound. my findings are and I so happy I did this! man the difference in tone really took me,it now sounds thick & deep low,meaty mids,& highs that stand out.it sounds like it should,I put the blk wire pickups put them in my Franken Geddy it brightened it up a lot it sounded deadish with the first run pickups in it.I now have a more openness to to matching up woods and the type of pickups they do make a big difference in tone. I read as you did all the threads about the Geddy pickups are they MIJ,MIA,62 custom shop? I played it out twice yesterday and got complements on the tone & that I could be heard.witch was great! instead of my normal I couldn't hear you very well. my conclusion is fender put different pickups in the Geddy basses here and their due to availability or cost I do not no.sorry for being no help. sorry man you were asking about pickups in the MIM Geddy probably the same as the MIJ is my guess and they seemed to vary.

3. exidor

exidor

Jul 10, 2011
    Detroit,MI
    It seems that no one cares about your question,but me and I'm no help.

4. Bassman8416

Bassman8416 Supporting Member

Oct 18, 2004
    Long Island,New York
    No, that was very informative, I was out for hours today. I appreciate your input and observations. I am really not surprised that a Fender customer service guy does not know the answer to this question.

5. Any other views on this topic?m