Question about Fender Precision Bass

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by bogie1519, Apr 11, 2018.

1. bogie1519

bogie1519

Feb 25, 2012
    Beaumont Tex
    Does anyone have any experience with the Precision Basses that were made in Mexico?
    Compared to the other basses that are made overseas. Build quality and pickups, bridge.
    Thanks for any help...

Pbassmanca likes this.
  2. SJan3

SJan3 Supporting Member

Dec 8, 2010
    Ct.
    Build quality=very good
    Bridge=ok
    Pickups=meh

3. Swerve

Swerve

Nov 22, 2002
    Portland, Oregon
    I like MIM P basses, but I don't think they're worth the $600 new that Fender charges for them. More like half that. Go used, unless you want a specific color / fretboard type.

4. Bassist Jay

Bassist Jay

Dec 28, 2009
    Sterling, CO.
    Endorsed by K.B. Guitars, Nordstrand Audio Pickups, Von York Strings and Gallien-Krueger Amps.
    A buddy of mine had a Made in America and a Made in Mexico P bass. He actually preferred the Made in Mexico P bass over his Made in America one. Both toured with him constantly and even though he used the MIM P Bass a majority of the time, he said that it never gave him any issues. And I will add that his bass was very road worn. He played it rough and it had the battle scars to show.

5. Swerve

Swerve

Nov 22, 2002
    Portland, Oregon
    This has been my surprise listening to P or J bass comparison videos on YouTube. I quite often find myself liking the sound of the stock MIM pickups over the US ones.

6. garp

garp

Feb 7, 2009
    Connecticut USA
    The Classic Series '50s Precision (MIM) is consistently rated here on TB as one of the best basses Fender makes in any country.

7. Oddly enough, I have four precision basses, and none are American made and I don't have the desire to get one either. My favorites are the mid 80's MIJ basses, they sound and feel the best in my hands. My mexi is a great player as well, and has been my main player on and off for a few years when it comes to p basses, so I disregard what's on the headstock and go for the feel and sound.

Funny thing, my five string I play the most is my american standard jazz, which is bone stock, and I have no intention of modding it, which is what I do with most basses.

A good mim p bass with aftermarket pickups and a good fret job will be as good as any fender regarding sound and playability.

8. flipp

flipp

Feb 1, 2015
    Trenton, GA.
    I bought a new Lake Placid blue one. Installed a badass bridge and Seymour Duncan Steve Harris signature pups. It's awesome. One of my favorite... and I own 12 basses.

9. dagrev

dagrev Supporting Member

Jun 21, 2006
    Kentucky
    Years ago I found the MIMs I ran into were a little rough, heavy and didn't sound all that great. Fast forward to last summer I played a couple new ones in a store and I was shocked how good they felt. Better than many (most?) mid-later 70s basses. Sure felt like a US made bass compared to the older MIM Jazz I had. Sounded good as well.

Spidey2112 likes this.
  10. Element Zero

Element Zero Supporting Member

Dec 14, 2016
    California
    Most good. Some ok. Some bad. Play em all until you find one you like.

birminghambass likes this.
  11. Spidey2112

Spidey2112

Aug 3, 2016
    I'll let you know, after tomorrow...

yzmhelthwobqhxdpyt0l.jpg

Update: The eagle, and nest have landed... I repeat, the eagle, and nest... have landed.

Shells intact, minimal strafing... I'm all about the box.

Obligatory 6 hour acclamation period commencing, 12:01... mark.

Over and out...

Last edited: Apr 12, 2018
    pudge, SJan3, alesreaper9 and 11 others like this.
  12. It depends on when the MIM bass was manufactured. I've read that the newer ones are very good. I bought one for my son in the late 90's and I had to play around 15 of them before I found one that I was willing to buy. There were significant quality defects, or just mediocre sound in all of the ones except the one that I bought. All of them were solid color but I happened to find one with an Ash veneer top and Tobacco sunburst finish that didn't have any big problems and sounded good. It's still in the family.

Rick B.

13. SJan3

SJan3 Supporting Member

Dec 8, 2010
    Ct.
    IMG_2144.JPG
    DiMarzio DP122s and Vintage threaded saddle bridge. This MIM P Bass is as good as my American Series.

14. Johnny21

Johnny21 Supporting Member

Mar 19, 2018
    Northern NJ
    Is it better to get a MIM and swap pups/electronics or just a American Standard and keep it stock?

I want a P bass and have gone back and forth on both...

Spidey2112 likes this.
  15. tjh

tjh

Mar 22, 2006
    Minnesota
    There are several different eras of MIM basses over the years, and many different models within those eras, with many different components involved within those models and era's ... pretty broad brush stroke to judge basses simply on country of origin ... ;)

16. Love mine. It’s a beater. Sounds great. Plays great. A0EAB816-D822-4A3D-B659-962D032C94C1.jpeg

Bassbubble11 and PanRap like this.
  17. pbass2

pbass2

Jan 25, 2007
    Los Angeles
    This is it---find one that feels good--good neck, etc. Then go crazy playing with pickups. Honestly, I'd take a good-feeling MIM with Lindys or maybe Geezers in it over many "boutique" AND vintage P's I've encountered.

Son of Wobble likes this.
  18. mpdd

mpdd neoconceptualist

Mar 24, 2010
    LA
    i recently played a new white mim p bass at Pasadena GC that was excellent in feel and tone

SJan3 and Spidey2112 like this.
  19. TjMetalhead

TjMetalhead

Oct 19, 2011
    New Mexico
    MIM P basses are my most favorite P basses. This my beloved 2010 MIM P bass. I really love the sunburst finishes from the late 2000's. They look so much better than the ugly "brown sunbursts" that fender paints with these days. I put a set of Seymour Duncan SPB-1's in with some D'addario chromes and it sounds perfect. IMG_3446.jpg

20. codiak

codiak

Mar 16, 2017
    Madison, Wisconsin
    17647D36-D52F-48D3-8766-851FBD33A91C.jpeg

I love my MIM P. I got it from the classifieds on here for $300 with a hard shell case. Threw in some EMG Geezer Butler’s and it sounds awesome.

SJan3, Swerve, Bassbubble11 and 2 others like this.
  21. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Jun 14, 2021