Question about Fender Precision Bass

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by bogie1519, Apr 11, 2018.

1. pudgychef

pudgychef In Memoriam

Jan 22, 2005
    Chongqing, China
    Current era MIM Fenders are excellent imho. Very good, and no need to upgrade anything, though some folks choose to.
    I would be looking for a used 2010 or later.

2. joinercape

joinercape

Dec 22, 2007
    The sunburst bass is a Classic 50’s Mexican neck and body, with an Original Fender pickup. The Shoreline Gold bass is a Fender Custom Shop. They are perfectly interchangeable to me, sound and feel wise. No preference. A31ADFB2-B26C-4A57-A376-8CEB708A3546.jpeg 38505966-C7FB-4AE2-8C19-7FC795223D04.jpeg 1FC2FF7B-ADB4-46AA-8033-DE0589FA31B7.jpeg

3. jmattbassplaya

jmattbassplaya

Jan 13, 2008
    Good to know. I'm going back and forth on whether I "need" a US P.

Spidey2112 likes this.
  4. Mister Boh

Mister Boh

Oct 23, 2016
    Annapolis, MD
    I had a 90s MIM that I didn't care much for. Some shielding and better pickups would have gone a long way but I never cared for the way it felt.

5. Bass Man Dan

Bass Man Dan Endorsing Artist: Ned Flanders' Bass-a-Reeno

Oct 20, 2017
    Cincinnati
    It has been my experience, especially with P basses, that price may dictate materials used and therefore playability, appearance, etc. But when it comes to sound/tone, it's so personal that price loses all meaning. I have a $100 p bass that I think sounds better than another that costs over 10x that amount. The stock American Standard pickups were less than impressive for me. The $17 pre-wired pickguard I got from Amazon sounds better to me. Go figure. YMMV.

Last edited: Apr 12, 2018
    gungrog likes this.
  6. garp

garp

Feb 7, 2009
    Connecticut USA
    My suggestion would be to first dispel the notion that there's something inherently "wrong" with an MIM that needs fixing. Then play examples of both instruments and see which one floats your boat. A lot of players here start planning "upgrades" to a bass before they've even touched the instrument for the first time. To that point, I give you credit for using the term "swap."

7. I have played both and I definitely prefer the MIM PBass. I don't like the large jumbo frets on the MIA PBass as they dig into your fingers when you slide up and down the neck. The MIM PBass is a workhorse as many on this forum will testify to. Put a nice set of flats on it, upgrade the pickup later on, and you will have an excellent instrument to gig with. :thumbsup:

Spidey2112 likes this.
  8. Spidey2112

Spidey2112

Aug 3, 2016
    I... felt... your pain. 'Need' is such an ugly word...

... I think 'lust' is way better.

pie_man_25 and jmattbassplaya like this.
  9. jmattbassplaya

jmattbassplaya

Jan 13, 2008
    I think my problem was that all the MIMs I played that came from the 90s and early 00s were pretty poor instruments. Many weighed a ton, sounded bad, didn't stay in tune, and were cosmetically "dull."

I think this is largely why the Squier VM and CV lines became so popular with players. For the price of a used MIM Fender you could get a new Squier that played, sounded, and looked better, weighed less, and held intonation better.

10. FugaziBomb

FugaziBomb

Jun 5, 2017
    Having played dozens of Mexican Fenders, all I can say is: try before you buy. I've played a few gems, a few duds, and a lot of in between. The last Mexican P I played was pretty underwhelming, though most of my complaints have to do with the factory set up, which is easily remedied. I have also noticed that most MIM Fenders I have had can't achieve as low string action as other import brands - namely Ibanez and Shecter. Both of those companies offer some pretty decent P Bass flavors

11. jmattbassplaya

jmattbassplaya

Jan 13, 2008
    lol I agree.

I have been lusting for a Fender 50s P for awhile, and the MIM model might be the ticket.

Spidey2112 likes this.
  12. smtp4me

smtp4me

Sep 30, 2013
    Philadelphia, PA
    If you ask Fender, they of course will tell you that the MIA products have superior quality components and craftsmanship. In my experience and opinion, it's hit or miss for all Fender products - you can get a good or a bad MIA, or MIM Fender bass. I've been lucky - I have two MIM Jazz basses and both are fine - and at less than half the price.

MobileHolmes likes this.
  13. Fletz

Fletz

Jan 16, 2009
    New Jersey
    Hartke artist
    I find with all MIM Fender products, the quality varies - sometimes pretty widely. That said, I do only have American Fender basses but I have Mexican Telecaster that, no joke, I would put against the $1500 ones. Granted, the pickups are probably not what a "real guitarist" would want, but I can say the build and finish are perfect. The neck is (probably accidentally) quartersawn and the frets are perfect. I always check frets first on MIM Fenders. That's a good indication of whether its worth inspecting further or not ... IMO, YMMV, yada yada

14. trofud

trofud

Mar 28, 2018
    Montreal, Canada
    OP, you should try as much as you can and decide for yourself. There's hit or miss on $200 and/or $2000 instrument, no matter it's origin. In the end, we can all say whatever but YOU will be playing the instrument.

Don't spend too much time looking at what's on the headstock, play them and see what fits for you. You might be very surprised.

15. My MIM Precision is fine in neck and body. Alder prefered. The stock pickup it came with sounded harsh and loud at any volume. Replaced that with Fender Original '62. My 2nd P with Seymour Duncan SPB-1. I set them up to perfection and keep it there. Sounds and plays very well. A stable construct. Clearly the weak spot is the MIM pickup. The stock potentiometers are OK. If you want, these can be replaced with 250K ohm audio pots. I like both .68 mf cap and the original .47 mf tone cap.
    Bought my 2 used. For less than half retail. They get a lot of play and love.

Last edited: Apr 12, 2018
    Zoobiedood likes this.
  16. ONYX

ONYX

Apr 14, 2000
    Michigan
    I bought one around 2004. While I'm not a fan of the P-bass ( I like the sound, but I don't enjoy playing them), I think all bass players should have at least one at their disposal. I saw a used one that had been hanging on the wall of a music store in 2002, two years later it was still there---and for some reason I felt sorry for it, so I gave the orphan a forever home.

It plays nice and sounds good, and although I'd prefer a little more out of the pickups, it sounds like a P-bass. The only complaint I have is the bridge, the tolerances are not to my expectations ( saddle height screws are a bit loose), but that's an easy fix.

Not bad for the $200 I paid for it.

Spidey2112 likes this.
  17. FirewalZ

FirewalZ

Aug 14, 2014
    S.E. Michigan
    Likely already been said.....Fenders are somewhat inconsistent...less so in recent years. But I've seen great basses and dull/crappy ones across both MIM and USA models. Just try as many as you can and eventually you'll come across one that "has it".

18. LT131

LT131

Jan 25, 2015
    Deep South
    PBasses have been around so long and are so common that it is the nuances that make them work for the individual. They all look identical except for color, pick guard and fretboard. It is finding the right combination of frets, nut, radius, neck profile, bridge, pickup, etc that make one precision feel so good compared to others. It might be MIA. MIM, MIJ, MIK, MII or any other place they are made. From reading here and personal experience the newer models of the lower end, MIM and Squier are getting better and better. Obviously the fit, finish, electronics and hardware are different but how important is that? Varies from one person to the next. If you have the urge to mod then find a cheap one that feels good and whale away! If not, find one that works and play it!

19. sigterm

sigterm ;) ;) ;), love y'all

Feb 5, 2003
    Atlanta G of A
    There are two classic 50s from MIM, a urethane and a nitro (the hardshell case one) I own the former and have played the latter, both are excellent. The pups are solid! Would like a little more of a rounded off fingerboard, but that's more me being nit picky. I played a MIA originals and didn't feel it was a an upgrade over my MIM.

pudgychef likes this.
  20. pudgychef

pudgychef In Memoriam

Jan 22, 2005
    Chongqing, China
    The MIM Classic 50s are a whole other level of quality and bang/$. Excellent bass.

21. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Jul 29, 2021