Question about Fender Precision Bass

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by bogie1519, Apr 11, 2018.

1. Kukulkan61

Kukulkan61 Supporting Member

Feb 8, 2011
    Northern Arizona
    American made Fender basses are made by Mexicans
    Mexican Fender basses are made by Mexicans
    There is no difference...:smug:

electracoyote and sigterm like this.
  2. Kukulkan61

Kukulkan61 Supporting Member

Feb 8, 2011
    Northern Arizona
    I would put this 2016 MIM up against any American one, especially with all the Top upgrades... E2CAC2CA-C3A2-4CA5-8124-E9E14D7EA751.jpeg

Son of Wobble, Flippy and sigterm like this.
  3. FronTowardEnemy

FronTowardEnemy It is better to go unnoticed, than to suck Supporting Member

Sep 19, 2006
    Chicago Illinois
    This in my opinion is so true.
    I have a Classic 50s Lacquer and it is by far the greatest bass I have ever played while gigging. I did change the pickups out for EMG GZRs.

I just bought a brand new 2018 Road Worn as a back up because of the Classic, and let me tell you, I do love the Road Worn but the Classic still can’t be beat!
    918B37A8-E8E1-4EC3-A61D-FCAEDB094BFA.jpeg

4. RickyWoo

RickyWoo

May 26, 2016
    Are those Geezer's in the black one?

FronTowardEnemy likes this.
  5. I have two of them (MIM's) One is my main gigger and the other is a back up or jamming bass. I have no desire to upgrade anything on either one. They both play and sound great. One is a '90 , the other is a '91. Both are port wine with white pick guards. The main one is bone stock , the back up has a Gotoh bridge and is stock other than that. Both have Chromes on them. The main one is tuned to D , the back up is usually tuned to E. My band plays in D. Oh yeah , I got both of them used , one for $250 ,the other one for $225. Been a while and i can't remember which one I paid more for. Would I do it again? In a heartbeat.

6. BillMason

BillMason

Mar 6, 2007
    I'm not a huge fan of Mike Dirnt (not to say he's bad, I mean c'mon, he's a pro), but I love those basses!

vegas532 likes this.
  7. BillMason

BillMason

Mar 6, 2007
    Especially with current MIA prices.

Bassbubble11 likes this.
  8. vegas532

vegas532

Nov 10, 2006
    Pensacola, FL.
    I'm not big on Green Day myself but I'm a SUCKER for tele necks on P Bass bodies.

Son of Wobble and BillMason like this.
  9. BillMason

BillMason

Mar 6, 2007
    Me too, always loved the Tele headstock, but also that pickguard with that pickup, and the roadworn finish.

vegas532 and Son of Wobble like this.
  10. RickyWoo

RickyWoo

May 26, 2016
    Love the Dirnt model. Would love it more if it come in new finish though... But Fender would probably tack $1K to the price because it's some kind of Limited Edition or something. I'd buy one for sure. Unlike you, I can't get around the idea of brand new worn basses.

BillMason likes this.
  11. lermgalieu

lermgalieu Supporting Member

Apr 27, 2000
    Mill Valley, CA
    I have a 90's MIM P bass and am currently loving it more than my MIA P, FWIW.

12. electracoyote

electracoyote Supporting Member

MIM Standard from 2009 onward FTW.

tzohn likes this.
  13. electracoyote

electracoyote Supporting Member

Right.

The only difference is expectations and QC. When the Ensenada factory bumped up the standards (around 2008-2009), the quality and consistency improved dramatically.

Kukulkan61 likes this.
  14. Eric Swaim

Eric Swaim GOD, U.S. MIlitary, Country Supporting Member

Sep 21, 2004
    Murfreesboro, TN
    This if from my personal experience owning these basses many of the basses through the years.

MIM
    Tuners-cheap
    Pickup-cheap
    Bridge - crappy saddle screws self losen
    Neck- needs adjusting more
    Body- good

USA
    Tuners -great
    Pickup - 2014 to now are great
    Bridge- very good
    Neck- great graphite bars keep it steady
    Body- great

Japan
    Tuners - average
    Pickup- average
    Bridge- average
    Neck- high quality
    Body - Ash wood great

Indonesia, China, Etc.
    Will get the job done, but not my 1st pick.

15. 4SG

4SG

Mar 6, 2014
    You really have to test drive the particular bass you're interested in; there's no generally applicable response. I've got American, Japanese and Mexican Precisions, as well as others with mixed and matched parts. I'd say QC is better with MIA Fenders but, if you put some time into it, you can find a MIM Precision you'll be really happy with.

BillMason likes this.
  16. FronTowardEnemy

Sep 19, 2006
    Chicago Illinois
    Yes

RickyWoo likes this.
  17. RickyWoo

RickyWoo

May 26, 2016
    I don't want to derail, so I'll keep it short. I want to swap my pups out for these. How worth it was the swap for you?

FronTowardEnemy likes this.
  18. BillMason

BillMason

Mar 6, 2007
    It’s a bit dated.

electracoyote likes this.
  19. DavC

DavC

May 17, 2005
    Tallmadge , Ohio
    ???????

new .? used .? older / newer ..?? Fenders .. ? or other better or worsererer copies .. ??

my experience for J's & P's ... and even P/J's ...

from recent builds ... MiM necks ... very nice , Indonesian necks , OK but needed just a little work (MIC necks - i don't go there ) ... MIA necks ... very nice also ... fretwork is rarely consistent , unless you spend the bucks ..!! i prefer to buy a few tools to make my necks play/feel great by doing whatever they need Myself ..!! the most important thing for me is how the neck feels in my hands ... most other things are fairly easy to fix/mod ..!!

bodies ... they're all OK ... just made of lesser or more expensive tone woods ...

pups/ bridges ... don't care , they will be upgraded regardless ..!

also a big fan of ' Warmoth ' = licensed by Fender

20. FronTowardEnemy

Sep 19, 2006
    Chicago Illinois
    I gigged it stock and found the pickups weren’t cutting it in my current band situation (3 guitars, drums, bass, and vocals). Not bad, but not blown away either.

Read the entire GZR thread and decided to go that route.

The GZRs are so great sounding that it spoiled me on them so much so that now they are the pickup to beat.

RickyWoo likes this.
  21. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Jul 29, 2021