1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

question about ferrules

Discussion in 'Hardware, Setup & Repair [BG]' started by dougjwray, Aug 23, 2012.

1. dougjwray

dougjwray

Jul 20, 2005
    I have a P Bass which was customized to be strung through the body, with ferrules on the back of the body.
    Last night I was changing the strings, and one of the ferrules came off. It looks as though they were simply pressed into the holes. When the bass is strung up, they are naturally held in place.
    My question: Can anyone think of a good reason NOT to use a little glue in this situation? It's a bit annoying to have one (so far) pop out every time I change the strings.

Oh yeah, one more thing: My luthier said this, and I agree: "Stringing through the body does little or nothing for the sound... but it's good for the mind." :D

2. Bassics101

Bassics101

Feb 3, 2011
    No problem with a little glue. On Fender's, they are just pressed in and sometimes are so loose that if you don't string thru, you'll lose them.

3. I've wondered this too. I have a newer American P-bass and don't string through the body. One of the ferrules is very loose. Seems like something they should have fixed in production.

4. Same thing with my '08 MIA Jazz, which is the reason I have it strung thru in the first place. I don't really mind that, but I do agree they could have put the ferrules in a little more solidly. I myself was wondering if glue could be used, should I decide to go thru the bridge eventually.