Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Question about fingers vs. pick.....

Discussion in 'Technique [BG]' started by PTBassMan, May 24, 2005.

1. PTBassMan

PTBassMan

May 11, 2005
    Barberton, OH
    I have been learning "In The End" by Linkin Park. The bass line plays like 666666 6 6 444444 4 4, or something like that. Anyway, by finger playing I can't get fast enough string action (or can I?), but by using the pick I can come don on the string then back up on it. Also, it seems when finger playing it makes a longer stroke on the string and the string takes longer to settle. Which is better.

2. La Garrida

La Garrida

May 20, 2005
    Berkshire
    Firstly, you must be playing too hard with your fingers! the main trick to finger style is relax.
    Anyways, with all things it must be practiced slower before you can start speeding it up.

The bass player from linkin park plays with his fingers. Using a pick is slighty easier (for speed in down and up-strokes) but I seriously recommend working on your finger technique as it will expand your bass playing in the long run.... :hyper:

3. fr0me0

fr0me0

Dec 7, 2004
    Winnipeg Canada
    I know what you mean man I'm trying to play kill the king by megadeth and its just a tad to bit fast for my fingers. Like La Garrida said you just gotta try and relax and play it nice an light. I do this weird thing where I hold my breath though I gotta stop it.

4. Petary791

Petary791

Feb 20, 2005
    Michigan, USA
    The test of fingers (I think) is Fight Fire With Fire by Metallica.

You need like 3 or 4 (I saw Trujillo use 4) to play that song. If you want to work on 3 fingers, just do straight triplets (ie The Toys Go Winding Down.)

5. pdusen

pdusen

Aug 18, 2004
    You are mistaken. Phoenix plays with a pick. This can be plainly seen on the Making of Meteora and the Live in Texas DVDs.

6. Uh, why not play it the tune with a pick? Nothing wrong with that.

7. La Garrida

La Garrida

May 20, 2005
    Berkshire
    Yeah you're right, My apologies. I got confused by the angle of his hand (Serious Low Rider!!) :D

8. kilgoja

kilgoja

May 26, 2005
    Alabama
    i use a pic...only fingers when slapping...lol...it's just easier to me

9. DaemonBass

DaemonBass

Mar 29, 2004
    Sacramento, CA
    That song is pretty easy. As a beginner it is natural to experience some difficulty just keep practicing. Before you try playing at full speed make sure you go through it slow and get all the notes right. Train your hand. If possible, learn to play it using a pick AND your fingers. That's what I do. Neither pick or fingers is better, remember that. It's just two different sounds. Plus there is always gonna be someone who has an easier time playing with their fingers on a certain peice and then someone who is the opposite. Just find what works for you.

10. ras1983

ras1983

Dec 28, 2004
    Sydney, Australia
    everyone on TB knows infinitly more than me, but i think its good to remember the musicians we watch/emulate didn't start out playing as fast or as clear as they do. they had to build up their speed. we should just be more realistic of our current skills. work on building up your speed with a metronome and then once you feel you can play basic scales and runs fast enough, attempt the song in question with your fingers. ;)

11. adisu

adisu I admit it, I'm a "user"

Apr 8, 2005
    Israel
    Hi PTbassman.
    First you got to know that the bass guitar tone is different when you play a pick and when you play your fingers...
    when you play a pick you'll get more high frequencies (metalic sound) then when you play fingers.
    Now, if you want to do an exact imitation of a certain song you should count the sound the bass player use and see if he uses his fingers or a pick.

As for speed issue pick is fast but if you train your fingers you'll be faster playing your fingers , for example right now i practice a technique that use two fingers (index and middle) but each finger hit the string twice on it's way up and on it's way down therefore i get very fast 4 notes and it's like using 2 picks at once.

So i say you should practice them both but focus on the style and sound you want to get. :bassist:

12. Opas

Opas

Aug 1, 2004
    Harrisburg, PA
    :confused:

13. vene-nemesis

vene-nemesis Banned

Jul 17, 2003
    Bilbao España
    He uses both techs, but in meteora he used the pick much more than his fingers.

14. Jack

Jack

Sep 6, 2003
    Newcastle, UK
    Its tab, just without any of the other strings.

15. eldave777

eldave777

May 24, 2005
    I prefer to play with my fingers. It's really like using four picks if you think about it. I also use this little technique where for speed I hit the string with both sides of my finger once on the way down, once on the way up. You can play as fast with two fingers that way as you can with four. The attack can be a little unballanced but if you have a good compressor that kinda makes up for it.

16. burntgorilla

burntgorilla

Jan 24, 2005
    Belfast
    When you do play harder stuff, make sure you start slow and get technique right, instead of playing it faster straight away and making lots of little errors and bad habits to compensate, because you'll just end up having to lose those.

17. if you want to see some fast fingering check out run to the hills by ironmaiden and in the live in rio dvd hes playing wtih 4 fingers all at once.

18. Ahhh, are you serious? How can you use 4 fingers on that song.. I use only 2 and although it takes a lot out of me I pull it off a lot smoother than with 3

With fingerstyle(which I almost 95% of the time play) I like to vary with what I am playing. Sometimes I will anchor my thumb on my neck pickup and keep a very stiff hand to play, other times I will anchor my thumb on the top of the neck and play with a soft touch.. Other times if I am playing by the bridge I will just let my hand hang.. Figure out first what sound you are looking for and how to achieve it, then get a comfortable position for your hand. If you're having a hard time keeping up with a song, work on endurance a bit.