Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

question about Fingerstyle

Discussion in 'Technique [BG]' started by mic, Jun 12, 2005.

1. mic

mic

Mar 11, 2005
    Israel, Haifa
    Hi, when I play Fingerstyle my right hand's fingers are turning towards the neck a little bit, and they are not turning totally downwards. Is that a bad habit? I can play everything like that and it's comfortable, but maybe you can tell me somthing I don't know about it... ;)

2. Bryan R. Tyler

Bryan R. Tyler TalkBass: Usurping My Practice Time Since 2002 Staff Member Administrator Gold Supporting Member

May 3, 2002
    Connecticut
    If it doesn't hurt or affect your playing in a negative way, then don't worry about it. Have you ever seen John Patitucci's fingerstyle? His whole hand is twisted towards the fingerboard-I imagine it's a position he adopted from upright.
    [​IMG]

3. JimmyM

JimmyM Supporting Member

Apr 11, 2005
    Apopka, FL
    Endorsing: Ampeg Amps, EMG Pickups
    The one thing I don't like about twisting my hand is it puts my fingertips at different levels. I like to keep both fingertips lined up with the string I'm playing, and twisting will put your middle finger lower.

4. lowphatbass

lowphatbass ****

Feb 25, 2005
    west coast
    I have moved more into that position over the years because it creates less of a break in my wrist angle, I feel that the more bent my wrist is the more likely I will suffer from tendonitis or wrist fatigue. Because my middle finger is quite a bit longer than my index finger I usually find myself favouring an angle back tward the bridge when playing very fast/technical stuff, that way my fingertips are always the same distance from the strings and I can "fly" more smoothly.
    IMO, The only things to concern yourself with when talking about right hand technique are: #1-can you do it as fast as for as long as you need to without hurting. #2-do you like the sound(if you are a rook you may want to get some opinions on that one!) #3-notes from either finger should sound exactly the same, same volume, same tone, no difference....If you start here you should be in good shape.

5. mic

mic

Mar 11, 2005
    Israel, Haifa
    Ok, thanks everyone. I started to play in a more straight posision today, and it's not so difficult... Because the differences between the angles in the way I used to play, and the way I started to play today are not so big.

6. JimmyM

JimmyM Supporting Member

Apr 11, 2005
    Apopka, FL
    Endorsing: Ampeg Amps, EMG Pickups
    Ya, just make sure your hand is relaxed and comfy. Don't strain to keep it straight. Let it happen naturally.

7. endorka

endorka

Oct 15, 2004
    Glasgow, Scotland
    Likewise - my middle finger is about 1/2 an inch longer than the index, and I find that the only way to get a smooth tone is to play at an angle. I do actually find that this can give you a double bass type tone, especially if you pluck near or over the fretboard. My middle finger has actually become bent towards my pinkie over the years, and I strongly suspect this is the reason.

Jennifer