question about finish and paint

Discussion in 'Hardware, Setup & Repair [BG]' started by YourHolyDeity, Jul 7, 2004.

1. YourHolyDeity

YourHolyDeity Guest

Jul 7, 2004
    I have a few questions about the paint job on my bass.
    It has a polyesture finish and i want to change it to Nitro-cellulose but i hear its illegal, but i'm cool with sending it to another state to have it done. I hear Nitro lets the wood breath more, resulting in better tone.
    so heres my questions:
    1) is it possible to only take off the polyesture and leave the midnight wine, and just put nitro cellulose laquer?
    2) do i have to have a complete paint job done (which would probobly end up being 3 tone sunburst) to get the new finish on?
    3)how costly would it be (not that itll be TOO much of an issue regarding whether ill do it or not)
  2. 1. No

2. Yes

3. It depends on who does it; I would guess a minimum of $300. By the way, you won't notice any difference in the tone if you decide to do it. Considering that your bass is a MIM Fender there are a number of less expensive alternatives to improve your tone, all of which you WILL notice.
  3. Consumer use of Nitrocellulose lacquer is NOT illegal in any state of the country as far as I know. In fact, think about it - that is a common automotive finish - would that preclude any cars being painted in your state?

But what state that is is up for question isn't it - since you haven't filled out your profile! :scowl:
  4. Figjam

Aug 5, 2003
    Boston, MA
    Refinishing the bass would most likely cost more than changing the pickups, bridge, strings, etc. All of which would probably change the tone more than a paintjob.
  5. YourHolyDeity

YourHolyDeity Guest

Jul 7, 2004
    Thanks for all the replys. I have upgraded the pickups and am not sure about changeing the bridge or tuners. I hear leo quans are good, but I'de need to try it first. My bass looks very scratched up, and with a nitro finish, the scratches would look alot better than on the polyesture. I live in CA btw, and i called up this one store and they said that nitro is illegal here in LA, so im not really sure.... if it's not, thats good to know. I'll fill out my profile
    thanks for all the replys
  6. You should know that nitro is more brittle than polyester. That means your bass will be more prone to develop finish checking (i.e. little cracks that happen because the wood expands and contracts and the finish doesn't). It's your bass and your money, but I'd sure think twice before I spent nearly as much as the bass cost just to have it refinished.
  7. YourHolyDeity

YourHolyDeity Guest

Jul 7, 2004
    thats one of the reasons i want it. because the finish on my bass dosnt crack, and instead leaves horrible scratches that i have grown to hate. ide rather see cracks then white lines everywhere, but thats just me. Maybe when i have more money ill consider... but thanks for the replys!
  8. Ok, gotta clear a few things up. Nitro won't scratch any less than poly; Nitro is as stated by lonote more prone to scatches, cracks, chips and is generally more brittle. As for tone differences you would be hard pressed to notice a real difference between those two, however I do remember being fed the "nitro lets tone breathe more than poly" garbage back when I used to play guitar. If you want to let your instrument "breathe" try an oil finish- thats as natural as you're going to get.