Question about flats and alternate tunings

Discussion in 'Strings [BG]' started by _Some Dude, Oct 9, 2016.

1. _Some Dude

_Some Dude

Sep 14, 2016
    I installed my first set of flats (GHS) the other day. I'm noticing that the E string isn't staying a consistent pitch as I try to tune and it seems to be getting worse. I only have one bass so I'm changing between E, Eb and drop D as I go through my song list.

It've tried using just the front pickup with the tone rolled off and plucking at the 12 fret... doesn't seem to help. It's still wavering all over. I'm basically at the point where I have to ballpark it with the tuner, then play a chord and fine tune by ear.

Just wondering if flats don't like being tuned up/down frequently? Or if there's something I'm not thinking of?

2. Kamatori

Kamatori

Jan 20, 2012
    Make sure the string is stretched out and set the witness points.

3. _Some Dude

_Some Dude

Sep 14, 2016
    I had to Google what a witness point was, but that was done. I'll re-do it again just to make sure.

One thing that might be an issue though is that the fat part of the E string is wrapped around the tuning peg? The only way to eliminate that is to string though the body, but I read flats don't like being strung through the body due to the sharp bend at the bridge?

4. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Sep 28, 2021