Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Question about flatwounds and 6 strings for Mr. lawson

Discussion in 'Ask Steve Lawson & Michael Manring' started by Guinea Pig, Jan 8, 2006.

1. Hey Steve,

I know that you use flatwounds on both your 6ers. I want to buy one of those ibanez 506 6 string basses soon because I favor the sound of bartolinis and i was wondering if i were to put flatwounds on a 6 stringer could i possible beable to eq or use my aphex bass xciter to gain aback alittle clank in my sound. The reason i would prefer to do this rather than buy a normal set of rounds is because a: I like the feel of flats better, and b: it gives me a different sound and i can change from a clanky roundwound sound to a smoother fatter flatwound sound just by a click of a botton. I suppose there are numerous ways to achieve this....so im pretty much open to all ideas (from steve or someone else)
    Thank you and good luck on all your bass extravaganzas.
    -GP

2. Steve Lawson

Steve Lawson Solo Bass Exploration! Supporting Member

Apr 21, 2000
    Birmingham, UK
    GP,

depending on the flats you buy, it's certainly possible to get plenty of top end on your sound - I can EQ enough treble to get a really crisp slap sound with mine, or a biting punky pick sound.

I use Bass Centre Elites, and while they haven't officially released to set I use yet, you can order them direct - email them via www.basscentre.com - they won't be cheap but will last you ages! :)

Steve
    www.stevelawson.net

3. thanks steve your comments will be really helpful in the future. I plan to experiemnt more with this once i get my 6er, but im debating if i should buy a ibanez 506 or wait and buy a tobias killer b 6er to last me a few more years than the ibanez....oh well thats for another thread i guess.
    Thanks!
    -GP