Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Question about flea....

Discussion in 'Bassists [BG]' started by fleabee, Jul 26, 2005.

1. What kind of eq settings do you think that flea has on his amp and also on the bass itself to get that nice sound he has. Any input would be appreciated.

2. bassman314

bassman314 I seem to be a verb, an evolutionary process... Gold Supporting Member

Mar 13, 2005
    Bay Area, CA
    Flea plays a Modulus... hence why they have a flea signature bass...

IIRC, he plays GK amps, and as for EQ's who knows? muck around with your EQ until you find the sound you are looking for..

3. Petary791

Petary791

Feb 20, 2005
    Michigan, USA
    If I had to guess, boost the mids.

4. boost the mids?
    most slap guys cut the mids...i'd think flea would turn up the bass and treble, and turn the mids down...not to the point of Fieldy, but similar.

5. +1

Either that, or just drop some low end. He sounds very raw and kinda cold sounding. Especially on some of the latest stuff - live from slane castle. When he slaps it's generally percusive sounding instead of warm and rounded IMHO.

6. NJL

NJL

Apr 12, 2002
    San Antonio
    boost the boost on the GK

7. Matt Till

Matt Till

Jun 1, 2002
    Edinboro, PA
    When has Flea ever had a nice sound? ;)

I really don't like his sound except for on Funky Monks.

Seriously though, the Cat has gone through some tonal changes, you might want to refer to an era.

But mostly Flea Bass/GK.

8. I like his tone throughout BSSM. And the stingray tone on Aeroplane from One Hot Minute is utterly killer. Shame about the rest of the album..Flea did his best work on BSSM. Not showing off, just kicking back and locking into the groove.

9. Higgie

Higgie

May 31, 2005
    London, England
    I agree. The tone on BSSM is nice, and on Aeroplane its great. I love his tone in Coffee Shop too, that last solo is heavenly to listen to.

10. Yea that solo is killer, i heard though that flea doesn't like that solo, they were wondering how to finish that song so he said he'd do a solo, and made it up on the spot in one take, didn't like it and wanted to do another one but Rick said it was cool, so they left it.

11. Matt Till

Matt Till

Jun 1, 2002
    Edinboro, PA
    I'd agree that the end solo is quite weak, especially since it came right after the really cool autowah solo break.

12. phxlbrmpf

phxlbrmpf

Dec 27, 2002
    Germany
    I think I liked his sound on BSSM and the Soul to Squeeze single best, so fat and yet clear. As a result, Wals are now among my dream basses.
    I thought his Alembic tone on One Hot Minute was utterly unexciting and really hated his Modulus sound on Californication. I think he sounds quite a bit better on By the Way, but nothing beats his Wal sound, in my humble opinion. His Ray/Spector tones on the early albums were generally too thin-sounding for my tastes.

13. bassman314

bassman314 I seem to be a verb, an evolutionary process... Gold Supporting Member

Mar 13, 2005
    Bay Area, CA
    I really dig the Groove in Walkabout from "One Hot Minute"...

That whole song is really smooth... I actually like that album. not as much as BSSM.. BSSM is just pure mayhem.. They are different beasts.

RHCP has gone through tons of changes over the years, 'cause of changing line-ups (Anthony and Flea are the only constants)

Flea still rocks... just plain.... rocks..

14. Funkzfly

Funkzfly

Jun 15, 2005
    Getting back to Flea boosting Mids, that's completely incorrect. The reason all you can hear in the CP's tracks is click click on the Bass is because he's boosted his bass, dropped his middle and boosted his highs.

15. ras1983

ras1983

Dec 28, 2004
    Sydney, Australia
    As everyone said, boost bass and highs, cut mids. my favourite tone is the 'ray tone he had on his dvd/vhs.

His current tone is just too bright for me (aka too thin). the lower notes boom on the moduluses, but the graphite necks cause almost everynote higher than the open a to be too thin for my tastes.

16. ras1983

ras1983

Dec 28, 2004
    Sydney, Australia
    Read the following interview,

http://rhcprock.free.fr/fleamalandrone.html

Alembic epic ... now i understand why almost all TB'ers prefer his early tone. can't argue with an alembic. (unless you can afford one; which i can't - damn educational fees).