Question about Fodera NYC Empire {URGENT!}

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Swalexbass, Jan 9, 2018.

1. Hi I came across a Fodera NYC Empire 5 string. But instead of saying "NYC Empire by Fodera" on the headstock, it says just "Fodera" and has a Fodera butterfly logo as well (see picture below). I've never seen one like this so I'm a bit curious on what makes this one different to the rest. Thanks a lot.

b882fe_fb035d151fd0430b845e6cf51e8dbf14~mv2.jpg

Robert Cecchini likes this.
  2. bholder

bholder Affable Sociopath Gold Supporting Member Supporting Member

Sep 2, 2001
    Vestal, NY
    Received a gift from Sire* (see sig)
    No idea if it's legit or not, but if it just doesn't look right, suspect a Chinese counterfeit...

Swalexbass likes this.
  3. I imagine this is something for sale and not something you've already purchased? If that's the case get the serial n. and email Fodera. Otherwise one of the guys at Fodera has an account here, but I can't remember the username...

Oddly enough, some early models didn't even have the butterfly logo on the headstock, but this is the first time I've seen a photo of one without the NYC script.

Swalexbass and bholder like this.
  4. Yeah, good idea. I haven’t purchased it and I would never do unless I was 100% sure it is legit. This was strange to me too, cuz I’ve never seen one like this before. Anyways, thanks for the reply. I will e-mail Fodera and then update you all :)

5. songwriter21

songwriter21 I have an obsession for wood. The musical kind. Supporting Member

Jul 31, 2005
    One string tree, vs two, a butterfly that's also set in the wrong way, and yeah, no "NYC Empire" wording. I say fake.

tonequixote and Swalexbass like this.
  6. The only thing that irks me is that there's no NYC Empire written on it. This is a photo of a real Fodera NYC Empire 5 from Google.

fodera-guitars-nyc-empire-25326.jpg

songwriter21 likes this.
  7. songwriter21

songwriter21 I have an obsession for wood. The musical kind. Supporting Member

Jul 31, 2005
    Hmmm, so I was wrong in the trees and butterfly....

8. Yeah I’m just waiting the seller to give me a serial number so i can enquire to Fodera. Will be interesting. If this is a real one, it looks hella better being without that NYC Bass by Fodera

Viggo51 likes this.
  9. By the way, Just Thumpin` is the TBer who works at Fodera.

BioWeapon and Swalexbass like this.
  10. Ah, cool :D Thanks for that! I'll try ask him then.

11. I just got an e-mail response from Fodera.

upload_2018-1-11_10-33-54.png

So there's actually a chance that this is not a counterfeit instrument then :)

bholder likes this.
  12. Well there's actually a very good change it's not counterfeit - if a faker is recreating a bass, it's probably not gonna be one of a few instruments that are oddly built, especially since photos of this headstock design are very hard to come by!

Swalexbass and bholder like this.
  13. bholder

bholder Affable Sociopath Gold Supporting Member Supporting Member

Sep 2, 2001
    Vestal, NY
    Received a gift from Sire* (see sig)
    That's true, the counterfeits generally target the most recognizable models, not the obscure historical oddities. I just wasn't sure which this was, and Fodera is one of the most counterfeited brands these days...

Swalexbass and BioWeapon like this.