Question about fret modification

Discussion in 'Hardware, Setup & Repair [BG]' started by VinZeb, Apr 1, 2002.

1. VinZeb

Apr 1, 2002

I was wondering if anyone had any useful information on how to modify my fretboard. I was wanting to replace the basic dots that indicate fret position with small screws for a different look. What kind of screws and eqipment would I need to give it a new and well crafted look?

Thank you.
  2. PollyBass

PollyBass ******

Jun 25, 2001
    Shreveport, LA
    Your kidding right? dang, I dont know if you could even DO that to a neck. i mean, There IS a truss rod back there. if you want diffrent, get some Light up fret markers or something....
  3. wrong forum buddy, off to setup...
  4. I don't think you will have much luck driving screws into your fingerboard. I have seen guitars, specifically an Ibanez JEM model with inlays that look like phillips head screws but AFAIK they are inlays made to look that way.

You might want to first seek out some inlays that look this way, then find a luthier who can change the inlays for you.

It won't be cheap or particularly easy though.

Sorry to rain on your parade.
  5. Chasarms

Chasarms Casual Observer

May 24, 2001
    Bettendorf, IA USA
    You could always remove the MOP dots (or plastic or whatever they are) and use a hacksaw to saw the heads off the stainless steel screws and then just epoxy them in. Who would know besides you that the screw wasn't actually driven into the board.

My only concern with that would be sanding the neck to make them smooth with the rest of the board. If you were doing this in conjunction with a re-fret, it wouldn't be that hard, but to get it all smooth while sanding between the frets will be a challenge.