1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Question about fridges (8x10) and recording sessions...

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by alfredpunkjazz, Sep 15, 2008.

1. How many of you guys use your fridge to do a recording session?

I'm asking because my band will be recording soon (tomorrow... ha ha ha ha), and eventhough I wish I could take my Ampeg SVT-VR along with the fridge to the studio, it seems kind of excesive, but it has THE tone...

Now I just wish I had thought about this and just bough a really good direct box and some kind of overdrive effect... ha ha ha...

What would you do?

I know I will be able to plug to a good preamp (maybe even an avalon or something like that) and a sansamp DI, but sometimes you miss something... Don't you think so? we play rock, plain rock...

2. As long as i'm multi-tracking, I'll always swear by my SVT (the electric grandmother). it doesn't even matter too much what feeds it, it sounds pretty damn great for rock bass. One of my projects recently started/finished recording and it was really easy to get what I think is awesome tone.

My only problem is that I have to stay in the control room so that I can hear the playback. Headphones just can't compete with the electric grandmother. If I'm tracking live, I usually wind up with a DI and headphones, just so that the drums don't get overwhelmed (a lot of microphones to gobble up bass). It's not the same, though.

3. If the SVT is your tone, you won't be getting your tone with an overdrive pedal and a DI.

4. TremmelBass

TremmelBass Supporting Member

Sep 5, 2008
    Mississippi
    As long as the recoding studio has the capability, why not record your bass direct and mike your amp simultaneously? At least you'll be recording your preferred amplifier/cabinet tone PLUS the mixing engineer will have the option to re-amp your bass from a direct track.

5. xshawnxearthx

xshawnxearthx

Aug 23, 2004
    new jersey
    whether it be my old 810, or my 610, i'm bringing it to the studio with me.

6. mikeswals

mikeswals Supporting Member

Nov 18, 2002
    Seattle / Tacoma
    I always take an amp to the studio, and it has always been used.

7. JimmyM

JimmyM Supporting Member

Apr 11, 2005
    Apopka, FL
    Endorsing: Ampeg Amps, EMG Pickups
    Take it, use it, don't worry about it. As my old pal Dave LaRue says, you're only recording something that's going to be around FOREVER!

8. I always take my rig to the studio. I get the engineer to take a split from the DI and mic up the cab(s).

9. I wish our studio could do the 'split' micing... as it stands now, the engineer/producer is using a rack-mounted DI for every session player. No room for amps in the studio. Sure would like to try the DI/cab thing someday though.

10. Well, I really wanted to record my ampeg, but we had good results on going direct.

We'll see, maybe we re-do the bass tracking with the ampeg, it should be a cool A/B... I'll let you know guys if we do it, just for thesake of A/B'ing, he he he he.

Thanks for the input guys.

11. KPAX

KPAX Banned

Mar 22, 2005
    I recorded with my 70's SVT head and cab back in the day. For a couple of tunes we wanted overdriven bass so we put the cab OUTSIDE the studio (late night session), miked it and I CRANKED the head. Putting the cab outside was the studio engineer's idea and it sounded great.
    Stand up for your tone. A good studio will figure out how to make it work - that's their job.