Question about Gallien Kreuger amps

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by pgurns, Dec 27, 2003.

1. pgurns

Dec 26, 2003
    Northern, IL
    I was at the local Guitar Center over the weekend and just as I was about to leave I looked down and found a GK bass amp combo buried under one of the gutar amp tables way up front.

It was marked down from $999 list price to $299.

I figured at 299 bucks I could not go wrong so I picked it up. I went online to try and find an owners manual but while on the GK website they only list the 400rb III as being available with a single speaker. My combo clearly reads 400RB-III on it but it has 2X10 inch speakers.

Did someone place a 400RB-III head in a different cabinet perhaps? BTW it was a floor model so that is why I have no documentation but for 299 bucks *** :)

To my still beginners ear this thing seems to sound great. Any opinions on this combo? Oh yeah BTW the only 400 series I saw with 2X10 speaker configuration was the 400RB-IV not a III. As always any and all help is appreciated.

2. pyrohr

Aug 28, 2001
    Pakistani compound
    Hey Paul, I had a GK400III 1x15 combo and it sounded great for what I needed it for. I later traded up for a 1001RB 2x10 combo to fill my needs. Yes they did make a 400RBIII 2x10 combo. Have fun with yours! Oh and by the way, that's a killer price you payed!
  3. Kevin V

Kevin V

Mar 12, 2003
    Union, New Jersey
    I don't know much about those combos but, I paid $400 for the 400rbIII head alone. It seems to me that you are a lucky man.
  4. pgurns

Dec 26, 2003
    Northern, IL
    You are right it does sound good to me. :)

Hey Pyrohr, Do you have any idea where I can get a manual for this? Like I said all I was able to find on the GK web site regarding RB400-III combos was a single speaker configuration.

The main thing I was wondering was about the total ohms with this setup. Not sure exactly how it works but I keep reading about 240watts if a certain number of speakers are used but a different wattaghe if 1 speaker and so on.

5. pyrohr

Aug 28, 2001
    Pakistani compound
    Hey Paul, the internal speaker gets 150watts max @ 8ohms. if you ad a 2nd 8ohm cab you can get all 240 watts. if you want to get the 240 and stay all GK like myself than look into the GK SBX cabs. they are rated 400Watts @ 8ohms. They are also voiced differently than the RBH cabs but go well with the 400 and 800 heads. The RBH cabs may be better for the 1001RB and the 700RB because they can make use of the bi-amp capabilities of those heads. And be sure if you add another cab that it is a 8ohm cab! The 400RBIII is 240 watts@8ohms
  6. thebassguy

Mar 21, 2004
    The GK 400RB-III 2x10 Combo amp is a hell of an amp. I used one gigging regularly for 4 years and never had a problem with it. Many soundguys gave me a look and asked "it that it?" when I carried it in, but I shocked them when I finally turned it on. Powerful little beast.
  7. allexcosta

allexcosta Banned

Apr 7, 2004
    Boca Raton - FL
    Endorsing Artist: MLaghus Custom Basses
    Lucky, lucky, lucky!!

8. rjs6700

Jul 25, 2007
    Northwest Indiana
    SBX cabs can biamp also, I'm using a 410sbx+ with my 700RBII.
  9. 62bass

Apr 3, 2005
    It's a steal. That's an excellent amp. The owners manual at the GK site will give you all the info you need on the 400RB amp. The cabinet is 8 ohms I believe, so you can add another 8 ohm cabinet if you need to.