Question about GK biamp + GK cab when not "tweeting"

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by mouthmw, Oct 26, 2011.

1. mouthmw

mouthmw

Jul 19, 2009
    Croatia
    Simple question.
    I've got 700rb ii and gk neo 412 cab plugged with gk speakon cab so I can use the biamp feature.
    However, I don't use the tweeter. My tweeter knob is all the way anti clockwise because I often use fuzz and od and just prefer the sound.
    Now for the question. Is there a difference in sound if I set the cab to full range rather than biamp since I have no plans to use the tweeter or is it the same? Do speakers get a different freq range with full range or do they get the same range as with bi amp?

2. Wes Whitmore

Wes Whitmore

Mar 10, 2003
    Columbus, OH
    Going biamped bypasses the internal passive crossover in your 4x12. Everything above 5k goes to the tweeter, and with the woofer cut engaged, doesn't try to send it to the woofer at the same time. Since the tweeter is powered by a separate amp, just turn the tweeter knob down. The boost wont be in the tweeter in biamp, which might be a fix for you.

In full range, the full frequency is sent out the speaker outputs (1+ 1- for speakon out).

You can engage the woofer cut to cut anything above 5k.
    You can engage the tweeter cut to cut out anything above 10k.

Now going full range with no buttons engaged, and just turning down the L-pad on your cab could sound different because of the passive crossover's cutoff frequency. If it is at lets day, 3k, it will sound a little different than if you use the fixed 5k that is in the biamp circuit, mainly because the tweeter will play a little lower. If it's 5k as well, you probably won't hear a lot of difference. The cutoff slopes might also be different but I doubt you will hear it. Im not so sure that the GK woofer is getting anywhere close to 5k either...

I would just test it and listen...they will be very similar. Wes

3. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Jun 24, 2021