1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Question about GK MicroBass head (150S-III)

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by open_space, Nov 8, 2006.

1. Hello everybody,

I have a question about this small amp/head. I need something small for practices, small bar gigs and home use/recording. I am not really interested in combo amps, I would rather go with separate amp/cab approach.

Please note that I have limited choice of equipment as I live in Eastern Europe. I can choose from: GK, Ashdown or Roland bass combos. I don't really want a combo that's why I don't really consider Roland, plus they are pretty expensive.

Ashdown looks really good but it's too big to carry (I will use buses or subway, so the size and weight really matter to me). Ashdown is almost twice the size and weight of GK.

GK looks really attractive but it's a bit expensive ($560 over here) and it's only 150W. I am wondering whether it would cut on a bar gig. We are playing in one of the pubs in the city quite often and currently I am using DI Box straight to PA. It sounds ok but I would rather buy a real amp. I don't even have an amp at home.

The music we play is sort of like Coldplay, Doves, Travis.

What would you suggest? Also, should I go with 1x15 or 2x10 to match the head?

As I said, I can also use the PA in case the volume is not substantial enough. Another big problem is that I can't really hear the amp before I buy it, so I am worried whether its sound will suit our music.

Oh, I forgot, there is also Behringer stuff...

Thanks

2. any suggestions?

3. Pickebass

Pickebass Supporting Member

Jul 12, 2004
    San Antonio, TX
    I have a MB150E. These are good little amps for the size. Many years ago I used one as my main amp with a hartke 410... bad idea. Amp was constantly being repaired and GK does not have the best customer service. I can only imagine that in Eastern Europe customer service will be a bigger problem. Also because the speaker is in a small enclosure, don't expect deep bass. It will work with a moderately loud drummer and another cab. You might want to consider something like a 4ohm 2cab to use for bigger gigs

The positives... I use it for small practices and small gigs and its great. I also use it for upright bass. Great tone, good eq and a good DI makes it good if you have PA support. Just don't push it too hard or you will have problems. I have many amps but this is the one I practice at home with all the time

4. If you can get GK, why aren't you considering GK's higher power heads? A 400RB and a 1x15 cabinet are a very capable and quite portable combination.

5. Reefer

Reefer Guest

Mar 9, 2003
    Considering your options, the GK MB150 head will probably serve you well. Since you're already using PA support the GK will give the stage presence you're probably missing now and the DI from the MB sounds good. I used one with a 15" cab and it was plenty for most situations.

6. I use a GK MB150E head (no roman numerals) the same way you mentioned. It is a great little amp head. You have a lot more options than the S model when it comes to EQ, line outs, DI, etc. and also has the built in chorus. GK also has a nifty carrying bag with a shoulder strap. I'll sometimes strap it across my shoulder while carrying in my cab. You don't have to worry about high stage volume since you're going into the PA, but it does put out a very loud 150 watts. I highly recommend the head only version.

7. Thanks for the replies, guys. The MB150S is basically the stripped version of the MB150E, has no chorus, simple EQ and is also $120 cheaper over here.

Someone suggested 400RB, yes, it's good but it's too big to carry and too powerful. I know that I can always turn it down, but it will be a pain to carry.

Can someone comment on the sound? Also, is 1x15 better than 2x10 with this amp?

8. Any 2x10 cab is going to be more bulky/heavier than a 1x15. For most common uses, the 1x15 (my preference would be with a tweeter) will do nicely, depending on which brand/model you choose. As far as compactness goes, if you could get one, I'd highly recommend the Bag End S15-D or S15X-D. They're cube shaped little speakers, and quite capable. On the other hand, if GK is distributed to your locale, check out their Neo series. I think they have a 1x15 version, but their 1x12 also gets great reviews around Talk Bass. But mixing the GK MB150 head with any brand would be fine. Just make sure you get a 4 ohm cab in order to let the amp perform at its maximum, UNLESS you're intending to expand later and would like to add another cab (doesn't sound like it, based on your transportation scenario). Good luck!

9. emblymouse

emblymouse exempt Supporting Member

Jan 22, 2006
    W'Sconsin
    I've paired the MB150 combo with the Bag End S-15 and it's a great match. Small club w/ good house PA would be no problem. You won't find a smaller single 15 cab and if you expand your rig you'll likely still find both of them useful.

10. I have noticed that MB150S head doesn't have a boost knob. Will I miss it if I go with MB150S instead of MB150E?

11. shirojiro

shirojiro

Jan 24, 2001
    San Francisco
    I have the MB150s combo, and I recently purchased an old 400rb and BagEnd S-15.

I really like both amplifiers, but if I had to choose, I think that I'd go with the 400rb.

THe MB150s is a great combo, and I've used it alone for rehearsal and gigs. I've also driven differnet cabs with it, including 2x10 or 4x10. IT sounds great with a larger cab.

I recently purchased the 400rb and BagEnd 1x15. The cabinet is light, efficient, and sounds great. The amp head weighs 14 lbs, so I don't really consider that too heavy.

I don't that that you'll lose either way, but I prefer the preamp voicing of the 400rb.

12. emblymouse

emblymouse exempt Supporting Member

Jan 22, 2006
    W'Sconsin
    I had both combo's and chose to sell the MB150E. I can live without the Chorus, para EQ and extra ins and outs. BUT, that boost is real nice and is the only thing I miss.

13. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Jan 28, 2021