1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Question about grammar...

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by AmazingGracePlayer, Mar 16, 2009.

1. OK, so I want to say something along the lines of...

If A doesn't happen, then B isn't true. But I want to say it in the form of:

Is this grammar correct? If not, what's right way to word it?

2. MakiSupaStar

MakiSupaStar The Lowdown Diggler

Apr 12, 2006
    Huntington Beach, CA
    Wrong. It needs to be worded like this. Not until A happens, will B be true.

3. But if I have to start with "It isn't until A happens"

4. Will U be true?

5. "It isn't until A happens that B will be/come true."

6. MakiSupaStar

MakiSupaStar The Lowdown Diggler

Apr 12, 2006
    Huntington Beach, CA
    Why do you have to start your sentence like that? Are the grammar police holding a gun to your head?:eyebrow:

7. Yes

8. This is correct. In Latin it would have to be optative/future optative, which is how I remember it.

9. So I have to change "It won't be until" to "It isn't until"?
    There's no way it's going to work with "won't be"?

10. hbarcat

hbarcat Supporting Member

Aug 24, 2006
    Rochelle, Illinois
    Context is everything. Is this for a technical journal? A short story? A newspaper column? An entry for a grammar rodeo?

Fill us in on the specifics and we can pretty much guarantee that the correct form for your purpose will be hashed out.

11. mmmmm, hash!! :smug:

12. It's for a grammar explanation homework thing I have to do for a class.

Basically, I have to start a sentence with "It won't be until something happens, will something else be true" in correct grammar.

13. "It isn't until" sounds wrong.

Should be
    "Only after A happends, will B be true"
    OR "Not until A happends, will B be true."

OR if you have to stick with the "It isn't until" stuff, then rustynuts suggestion would be right.

*I must be bored.* :atoz:

14. Ummm....You're the one who said it had to be "It isn't until A happens". See your post above.

15. If this was in Greek I could have told you the answer by now...

16. Ah my bad, I get the two mixed up because I'm hearing a lot of both right now.

17. What dose this thread have to do with Latin or Greek? Please stop trying to show off. It's really depressing.

18. English grammar in comparison to Greek and Latin is a PAIN!!!

19. Those two posts about Latin and Greek are as contributive as the two posts above this. :)

20. What dose that have to do with this thread? Oh that's right, it has nothing to do with this thread. Thanks for sharing, Fassa.:)