Question about.. guitar.

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by fleabass89, Apr 22, 2003.

1. Well, I'm alive. You might be wondering why I only visit this place to ask questions about guitar, but.. hey.:D Oooh, new smileys.

Well, back on topic. I've entered the studio to record with my ska band that I play guitar in. I'm going direct, so no amps are involved. I just have a question. How am I supposed to get a good distorted sound while going direct? Distortion pedals suck in my opinion. They sound too processed and fuzzy while going direct. Is there any pedal/piece of equipment that will give me a good distorted sound? I'm poor though.. Argh. Dammit, I need a Marshall halfstack.:rolleyes:
  2. Blackbird

Blackbird Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Mar 18, 2000
    Doesn't the studio have something you can plug into that'll provide the sound you want?
  3. atldeadhead

Jun 17, 2002
    You could always *rent a guitar POD from Guitar Center for the recording project. I've been playing with a cat that uses one and it sounds mighty nice on recordings.

*30 day, no questions asked return policy.
  4. Thanks, I'll try renting the POD. How much do they go for to buy though?
  5. Blackbird

Blackbird Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Mar 18, 2000
    ~350 bucks.

Gotta say, though, that buying stuff, using it and returning it is a pretty crummy thing to do. You might win in the short term, but everyone else loses, the salesperson loses the commission and the next buyer doesn't get the brand new item they're entitled to.

I'm not saying that stores are all that innocent, but the way they act in some ways reflect the way some buyers act.
  6. 350 bucks.. eh.. man I'm way too poor for that.

Argh. I need something. Oh well.
  7. uh... why are you going direct? just crank a tube amp. recording guitar direct is like, against the rules, man.
  8. Richard Lindsey

Richard Lindsey

Mar 25, 2000
    Metro NYC
    If you can't rent something, try looking for a used Tech 21 sansAmp GT2.
  9. Well, I just thought of something. We recorded all of the drum tracks last time we went into the studio, and I just did scratch tracks while going direct. But maybe I won't be going direct when I record the actual tracks. There's some decent equipment there, so maybe I won't be going direct. I should call and ask:oops:

I don't have a tube amp myself, so hopefully they do. I'm poor.
  10. See if you can borrow/buy something like a Mesa-Boogie V Twin. Yeah, it's expensive ($200-250) but it does a lot. It's a DI, a distortion pedal, a preamp, and so on.
  11. guess what... guitar center has a 30 day return policy.

you know what to do.