1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Question about Gut/Gut Core

Discussion in 'Strings [DB]' started by bassist1962, Jan 7, 2007.

1. I am looking for a dark sounding string that I can play both Pizz and Arco. I would like to know what the term "Gut Core" refers to. Is this a gut string with metal outer windings? If so what are some good choices? From what I have read, it seems that E A and occassionally D are metal and the G is plain gut. Is this correct? I do not want to use plain gut as it is a bear to bow and too high maintainence. I would go with Obligato's, but I hear they have a short life, have winding problems, and roll under the bow. Superfexibles would be good, but the guages are weird. Dominants seem to have a breakage issue, Belcatos bow well but aren't that good for pizz. Any other suggestions, or should I stick with the Spiro Weichs? Not real dark sounding, but workable.

2. Marcus Johnson

Marcus Johnson

Nov 28, 2001
    Maui
    Yup, gut core is wound gut. I'm going to go down that road myself soon, when my Spiros get a little deader. There's been a lot of talk here about Pirastro's wound guts, both the Eudoxas and the Olivs.

I just did a gig yesterday in Honolulu on a borrowed bass, and it appeared to be a recipe for disaster. It was a TV show featuring all the Hawaiian artists nominated for this year's Grammys, so it was pretty high profile. The bass turned out to be a black fiberglass relic, fitted with the dreaded LaBella unwound guts (wound E & A). Amplification was an SM 58 in front of the bass side ff hole. Amazingly, it turned out great; the big booming sound was perfect for the type of music I was playing. It was really a kick to play on gut again.

3. You have it right--gut core strings are gut on the inside, with some kind of winding on the outside. Traditional gut sets usually have plain gut G and D with wire wound on gut for the A and E. Then there are modern gut sets such as Oliv and Eudoxa that have a gut core, a flatwound exterior and sometimes more in between. In the case of Eudoxas, from the D string on lower there's a layer of copper wire, I think, between the gut and the flat silver winding.

Of these, I've only used the Eudoxas. They sound great, if not all that dark, pizz and with the bow. They cost a fortune, though. If you go for them, make sure your nut and bridge slots are wide enough so they won't snag the windings. If you're rough on strings with your left hand they might not be the best choice either. Hope this helps.

Aaron

Edit: sorry if I repeated what you said, Marcus--you posted while I was writing.