Question about head without cab

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Papalampraina, Oct 9, 2011.

1. Papalampraina

Papalampraina Need.More.Fez.

May 13, 2009
    Athens, Greece
    Ok, I have to admit it, I like the Eden sound.
    I was thinking of buying the Eden WTDI, but another thought came to my mind, without the faintest idea if it's ok to go with it.
    Can I buy a head to use at gigs straight to the PA, so I can have the option to buy a cab for it in the future? Is it safe to do such a thing or will I destroy something?

2. froghat

froghat Supporting Member

Jun 14, 2009
    Rhinebeck, NY
    That is a concern with tube amps that have an output transformer. Solid-state amps should be able to run just fine without a speaker load.

3. B-string

B-string Supporting Member

SS output amps are fine to run without a speaker cab attached. You could still go with the WTDI and add a power amp (like a Peavey IPR1600 $299.) and cab later?

4. Papalampraina

May 13, 2009
    Athens, Greece
    I was thinking of the WTX500, small and light, so I don't need to buy a power amp later. But thanks for the answers. :)

5. spaz21387

spaz21387

Feb 25, 2008
    Portland oregon
    from experience most venues have bad monitor speakers on stage. I have played shows where we can barely hear vocals. I wouldnt recommend running bass through the pa. You wont be able to hear yourself.

6. Papalampraina

May 13, 2009
    Athens, Greece
    I got a combo also, so that won't be a problem.

7. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Aug 2, 2021