Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

question about heads (not preamps) and poweramps

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by snapple, Mar 31, 2005.

1. snapple

snapple

Nov 25, 2003
    Victoria-Vancouver Canada
    Endorsing Artist: PCL Vintage Amps
    This morning I woke up a little curious about something. I did a little searching and came up with ziltch so here goes:

Can you use a standalone head as a preamp and run that into a poweramp? I'm not planning on doing this - at least not anytime soon... just wondering if it'll work.

2. Hollow Man

Hollow Man Supporting Member

Apr 28, 2003
    Springfield, VA
    Yes, it will work, if the head has a line out on the back panel.

3. some heads HAVE to be hooked up to speakers...others dont

4. TheChariot

TheChariot

Jul 6, 2004
    Boston, MA
    Yes you can, and that's exactly how my rig is right now. My B2R is a puppy dog when it comes to power, so I picked up an RMX1450. Now the B2R is simply a preamp :)

5. ErnieD

ErnieD

Nov 25, 2004
    Atascocita,TX.
    so then the heads internal power amp section is bypassed? Thereby only using the external power amps source, am I getting this right? If so, I like this idea say for my GB600 head when playing outdoor gigs, using a seperate power amp to gain more watts but still using the heads preamp section, again is this right? I use 2, 8 ohm cabs ( 425w @ 4 ohms) so cannot utilize the 2 ohms this amp is capable of.

6. IvanMike

IvanMike Player Characters fear me... Staff Member Supporting Member

Nov 10, 2002
    Middletown CT, USA
    it depends on the head. tube amps need to haev a speaker load on them, solid state amps dont

as long as your head has a preamp out jack, a line out jack (same thing) or an effects send jack that is post eq (you'll have to check with the manufacturer but most are) then you can send a line from any on of those (or two of them) to a power amp vie two cords (if you have a line out and a post eq effects send) or via a y cord.

in these cases your poweramp section of your head isnt bypassed, if you plugged speakers into it it would still work, you're just not using it. of course you could still use it if you wanted to. i've done that, having cabs run off my head and sending a line to a poweramp and running more cabs, but usually i just run all the cabs off ofc the power amp.

7. snapple

snapple

Nov 25, 2003
    Victoria-Vancouver Canada
    Endorsing Artist: PCL Vintage Amps
    okay, cool. Thats nifty to know. Thanks for the responses everyone!

8. Plain Old Me

Plain Old Me

Dec 14, 2004
    On tube amps, aren't the two switches (power and standby) used to turn on the pre and power sections seprately? I've never ran my tubes without a load, but is it possible to run the preamp without the poweramp using a combination of these switches?

9. hasbeen

hasbeen Commercial User

Sep 23, 2004
    Vice President, KMC Music. Warwick U.S. distribution
    How much wattage increase with a power amp are you thinking of and how many speakers in your cabs? The reason I ask is that you will get "louder more quickly" by adding more speakers than by adding wattage.

10. IvanMike

IvanMike Player Characters fear me... Staff Member Supporting Member

Nov 10, 2002
    Middletown CT, USA
    he does have a point. (although cabs weigh more than poweramps usually) :smug:

seriously, adding speakers generally gives you more bang for the buck in terms of volume. the 2 ohm rating is a huge plus on the 600 head.

11. ErnieD

ErnieD

Nov 25, 2004
    Atascocita,TX.
    I saw a thread recently here on this and I think it ended with.. " If you run say 4, 8 ohm cabs to get to the 600w @ 2 ohms you will only be sending 150w to each cab." (not a direct quote) but if this is true would this still be louder than adding an amp? But yeah 2 more cabs, ugh. I use SWR Goliath 4x10 & 1x15 SOB, again 8 ohm cabs, I suppose this should be loud enuff but I get NO PA support ever. Just vocals and kick/snare drum thru PA for these fellas. I'm up against, 2 guitars, sax, drums and 4 vocals. I have only gigged indoors so far this year but this Sunday is semi-outdoors at a big biker rally. You know the scene, big icehouse with huge garage type doors, guys coming and going on super friggin loud Harleys, drunk chicks raising shirts, dirty dancing.. oh but I digress :smug: But I've not used this GBE 600 with my cabs under these condtions guess I'll see how it goes first. Thanks for the replies folks. I'll post later with my results, sorry if I stole this thread abit, but this info should benefit all.