1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

question about highs(equalization)

Discussion in 'General Instruction [BG]' started by BrandonBass, Dec 7, 2006.

1. BrandonBass

BrandonBass

May 29, 2006
    I hear from many people that its the mids that help the bass cut through the mix, just wondering if highs help in cutting through the mix?

2. cowsgomoo

cowsgomoo gone to Longstanton Spice Museum

Feb 8, 2003
    UK
    honestly, it depends what the mix is :)

if you're in amongst some thick humbuckered guitar-thru-triple rectifier type syrup, you might find some space right up there at the top, like Fieldy from Korn and his clicky mid-scooped rattle

but if you've got a keyboard player and he's fond of his 80's style FM synth patches (arent they all), you can forget about poking thru the top end

3. SuperDuck

SuperDuck

Sep 26, 2000
    Wisconsin
    High frequencies can help give your sound some definition so that it does not sound like a wall of low frequency mud. A good starting place when setting the EQ for your bass is to start with everything flat, and then CUT certain frequencies to see if you can find the tone you're looking for.

4. BrandonBass

BrandonBass

May 29, 2006
    i heard that its better to cut the freqs u dont want than to boost the freqs you want.

is there any reasoning to it?

5. For one thing, boosting means you need to amplify, which adds noise. If you just cut, then you only need to amplify everything once. I've also found that boosting what I want tends to end up sounding harsher than cutting the rest. Also if you just turn knobs up willy-nilly, it's easy to end up with all your knobs way over at the end of their range of motion with no room for adjustment. If you leave the knob you want the highest level on in the middle, then it gives you an anchor to prevent that level creep.