Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Question about Hipshot D-Tuner installation and assembly?

Discussion in 'Hardware, Setup & Repair [BG]' started by Philthy, Jul 31, 2004.

1. Philthy

Philthy Supporting Member

Jun 12, 2001
    Wallington, NJ
    I recently put a hipshot D-tuner/bass Xtender key on my Musicman Stingray bass. It was very easy to install and I'm very pleased with it. However, I do have a question and concern about the phillips head screw which holds the wheel gear and post in place. If I tighten it fully then the D-tuner doesn't work. If I keep it a little looser, then won't it eventually loosen and not keep acurate tune? How about putting a little Lock Tite on the screw? Would that help? Anyone out there experience the same thing? Any help or advice would be greatly appreciated? Thanks!!!

2. LoJoe

LoJoe

Sep 5, 2002
    Concord, NC USA.
    It just needs to be loose enough so that the lever arm moves freely when you release it to the lower note. The screw itself does not dictate whether or not the bass will be in tune, it's the lever action. You can just check it for snugness every once in awhile. I had one for almost a year before I switched to a 5 and I think I checked it for snugness twice and actually felt the need to snug it up once.