1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Question about Hohner/Steinberger basses

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by danesdad, Apr 15, 2018 at 10:41 AM.

1. danesdad

danesdad

Feb 24, 2018
    Western PA
    On the (Steinberger style) Hohner passive basses, which are more desirable, the ones with the P/J pickups or the ones with the soapbars (which I assume are EMGS but don't know for sure)? Which would provide a wider variety of tones? I'm on the lookout for one, but I've only ever played the one with the soapbars. Given my druthers, I'd rather have the active bass, but every one I find looks like it was used as a blunt instrument in the destruction of a china shop.

2. danesdad

danesdad

Feb 24, 2018
    Western PA
    While I'm at it, I should ask, which of the Steinberger knockoffs are the highest quality? Which are best avoided?

3. danesdad

danesdad

Feb 24, 2018
    Western PA
    Bump to see if I can get any answers....

4. Pug the Pig

Pug the Pig SUSPENDED

Mar 21, 2018
    London
    I had one just like the one sold on forum yesterday, only mine was black..it had the emg style pu's and was active, with a kill switch to disable if the battery died.
    I thought it had a good range of tones and it did the business for me anyway.
    It was a thru neck and appeared a decent quality bass, i did lots of gigs with it, no probs, it was also happy with being down tuned for one of the bands( the E down to C ) again no prob.
    For what its worth, I'd certainly get one again if I found a bargain priced instrument , and would I recommend them to others (again IMHO..)

5. danesdad

danesdad

Feb 24, 2018
    Western PA
    One sold on the forum yesterday?

6. Pug the Pig

Pug the Pig SUSPENDED

Mar 21, 2018
    London
    Yep a kind of mahogany coloured one 325 bucks or something I think