1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Question about in ear monitors...

Discussion in 'Live Sound [BG]' started by Rocks, Oct 10, 2010.

1. Rocks

Rocks

Mar 9, 2009
    Willoughby, Ohio
    Are these something that runs off the main mixer In other words, would I need a cable running from the mixer back to my head to use them?

2. kalle74

kalle74

Aug 27, 2004
    Depends, as there are both hardwired and wireless systems. Wireless, obviously, gives you more freedom.

Ideally, both get their mixes from mixing consoles (main or monitor).

3. mhead

mhead Guest

May 25, 2009
    Mexico
    You use the line you would use for a regular monitor (wedge) and plug it to you wireless system or some sort of headphone mixer/amplifier.

4. Check into the rolls PM351 for the lowest cost pro class IEM option

5. Rocks

Rocks

Mar 9, 2009
    Willoughby, Ohio
    Are they also helpful to cut out background noise? The one reason I'm thinking about going with in ear monitors is the lead guitarist is planning on buying a Marshal triple super lead (or something to that effect) its a 100 watt monster tube head and he doesn't seem to think there is anything wrong with cranking the beast to get his tone. I've tried the hearos hi-fi ear plugs and they sound like someone threw a thick wool blanket over everything, hi-fi my arse.

Myself I normally only run a 130 watt Trace Elliot head with the EQ just about flat going into two 15"'s (4 ohm load total) I can gig with it turned up to about 3 and the gain about halfway and hear myself fine. Of course I'm in the FOH mix, but my stage volume is normally set just enough to hear myself, if someone else needs to hear me better on stage then they just add me into their monitor mix. I also always try to stand to the side of speakers, not in front of them and if I can't escape being in front of them I try and get as much distance as I can between myself and the speakers.

6. I'm a huge IEM fan -- they don't fix disrespectful or stupid band mates...

for this issue, I'd be thinking a few things

(if he's cool) have him also buy a "hot plate" attenuator .. dials the speaker output down.

IF the guy's a dork, I'd be starting with a smaller amp.. then let him turn down to hear you.

IEMs do cut side noise.. think of it as listening to your band through an Ipod.

7. Another "test" route is to use the headphone out of your mixer (and an extention cord)

8. Rocks

Rocks

Mar 9, 2009
    Willoughby, Ohio
    I thought about that but it would look too dorky on stage wearing headphones. The good part is the guy thats buying the 100 watt Marshal is on the other side of the room from me and his amp is pointing straight out so I am way off to the side of it, normally at least 20' off to the side.

9. The Rolls PM351 is the hard wire option..

I'm betting your guitar pal will just turn up louder if the amp is farther away.

10. Rocks

Rocks

Mar 9, 2009
    Willoughby, Ohio
    actually my distance from him has no effect on how he sets his volume, he sets it as loud as he wants when he is standing 5-10' in front of it. Basically he turns it up until he gets the tone he wants regardless of how loud it is. I tried to talk him into getting a 50 watt marshall tube head instead as that would be more than loud enough. Unfortunately his heart is set on a 100 watt model.

11. ccary

ccary

Oct 14, 2010
    Brier, Washington
    If you do use in-ears, keep in mind that there is a huge difference in the quality of the speakers. Many cheap ones don't reproduce bass tones very well. Also, some are better at blocking out sound. I started out using Ipod buds, and couldn't hear a thing. Moved up to Shure buds, and things got better. Then I splurged and purchased UE-7's. Absolutely amazing. It's like being in an isolation booth. It's important to be able to add ambient sound to your monitor mix when you get to that extreme.

12. Rocks

Rocks

Mar 9, 2009
    Willoughby, Ohio
    I've checked into the options mentioned and they are either to far out of my price range right now or not a good solution. I'm working on becoming a single dad and all my money is tied up right now.

13. rockstarbassist

rockstarbassist Inactive

Apr 30, 2002
    The Woodlands, TX
    Endorsing Artist: HCAF
    A quality IEM setup (even just 1, for your personal use) is a hefty investment but IME very well worth it when/if you can get all the moving pieces to fit. My drummer started wearing his at gigs and we just unplug his monitor and go into his receiver unit and he's g2g. :bassist:
    I don't use mine live b/c over the years I was used to never playing with a monitor and just playing off stage noise and other monitors, so I only have "Bass" coming through mine anyway, if I don't have them turn it off altogether.

14. TimmyP

TimmyP

Nov 4, 2003
    Indianapolis, IN
  15. Vinny D

Vinny D

Jan 9, 2007
    Warwick, RI
    Not a fan at all of in ears...never have been.
    I have seen way too many (local level) performers and bands struggle trying to use them.
    I don't buy the argument that they help keep stage volume down....it's NEVER been proven too me.
    I also have challenged many bands that attempt using in-ears to use quality stage wedges that are EQ'd properly and decide for themself how they perform best.

And to again reinforce my hatred of in-ears I provided sound for a band that ran all in-ears this past Friday night.
    They had (4) seperate in-ears mixes for a five piece band.
    Drums, bass, 3-guitars, 4-vocals.
    Not one...not F'n one guitar player had there amp volume level for all the patch changes that they ran.
    So all I did all night was fight channel gain issues, too soft, way too loud, because why??? with the in ears they can't tell how far off there own volume levels are between different patches.
    Drums...forget about drums...The drummer played with ZERO feeling all night, couldn't lock into a groove to save his life.
    Why?? because he couldn't tell how hard or soft he was hitting his own drums because he was concentrating on listening to his F'n in-ears!
    The bass player was the best of the bunch and remained fairly steady all night....I just wasn't a fan of *his* bass sound..to distorted, over driven for my taste.
    Now were in-ears really took there toll for the night was on vocals.....
    With four people doing vocals and two of them splitting lead vocals I knew I was in trouble.
    Not one (again four vocals) had any clue as too how loud or soft they were singing into there vocal mic's.
    Vocals were present, then they fade away, then way too F'n loud....absolutely NO dynamics in the vocals at all.
    You could tell from watching them that they were concentrating on there F'n in-ears and not concentrating on how they were singing.

Okay my personal rant against in-ears is over....for now :D

But I do ask, and I even offered it to the band I worked with Friday night, to go back and try doing a show with a good sounding set of wedges in front of them and see if they give a better performance with them or with the in-ears.

Just my opinion but I feel a local bar band performs much better NOT using in-ears.

16. fokof

fokof One day ,I'll be in the future

Mar 16, 2007
    Here
    It never occured to you that maybe the band was su**ing ?
    IEM or not , bad musicians are bad musicians ......

I don't understand the reason why major acts are all on IEM , maybe it's because they are too good and want to su** a little ....

17. Vinny D

Vinny D

Jan 9, 2007
    Warwick, RI
    There is a huge difference with in-ears used on a pro touring rig and what is used by a local bar band.
    Read my post, I mentioned *local level* not pro.

A pro touring band will have techs that help with the issues commonly found with bar band setups.They also use much better quality in-ears and wireless systems.
    major differences on every aspect.

18. Vinny D

Vinny D

Jan 9, 2007
    Warwick, RI
    Bad musicians are bad musicians, but you can tell good musicians that are struggling and are not comfortable with what they are doing.

19. Ditto.. has NOTHING to do with IEM..

In all reality if they had stage amps.. they needed a little more coaching on an implementation.

yes - We have backup floor monitors just in case..

WE NEVER change any of the levels.. hired a pro to set them up one time.. we just eq to the room and then adjust the master volumes... all of the gear is in a rack.. all of the IEM go to a studio rack mount mixer.

it is magic with everyone running direct...

I hated them at first.. then gave it the truthful 3 months of learning and aclimation.

Unfortunately there's a ton of Opinions on TB from folks who have not been involved with a successful implementation.

I can not stress enough how smart it is to take some time and learn from a pro sound designer how to get it going... cobbling bad gear in a haphazzard way is stupidity, not failure.

Tim

20. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Feb 27, 2021