1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

question about installing casters

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by santacruzom, May 3, 2010.

1. From the "who says they're no such thing as a stupid question?" department:

So what's the best way for me to install casters in general, or on an Epifani UL410 in particular? I've never had a set of casters on any cabinet I've owned before. Can I just expect to be able to get a set of casters at a Guitar Center that will replace the little plastic corner pieces on my cabinet, or am I going to have to drill to get them in?

2. Yerf Dog

Yerf Dog

Jun 29, 2009
    Carol Stream, IL
    I would think you'd have to drill if you want them to be sturdy.

3. Ugh... for some reason I don't want to do that. If you drill, do you have to worry about losing any sound quality or anything?

4. rbonner

rbonner

Sep 25, 2008
    You would want big huge monster BLUE high buck wheels and while you are playing your cab goes for a stroll. I have had them turn around on stage even when locked.

JUST buy a quality two wheeler or one that lays down into a four wheeler to haul all your gear rather than butcher up your cab.

BOB

5. Rockman

Rockman

Mar 2, 2006
    Or he could put the casters on then lay the amp on its side during gigs...

6. Get a set of the plate castors that Nick Epifani and Jim Bergantino use. I'll post a picture for you of the installation, and a link to a wholesaler where you can purchase them.

The plate castors are cool in that they are removable, but you don't have to drill a bit hole in your cab... four simple little wood screws per plate.... with an electric screwdriver, it takes about 10 minutes.

Picture on the way!

K

7. JMac- Wiskerface Designs

JMac- Wiskerface Designs Terror headcase dude

Jul 8, 2009
    Atlanta, GA
    Pick up a movers dolly at somewhere like northern tool. They are remotely cheap and has rubber pads that would keep your cab from getting scratched and scarred up.......

8. Here's a picture of my 410UL with the plate castors installed. You will also need to install four rubber feet, since the plates will scratch the heck out of a floor if you take the wheels off. The only thing you have to remember is to put the release clip toward the front/back of the cab (i.e., the easily accessed 'outside' location).

K

109_0966.

9. BBEgo

BBEgo

Apr 14, 2010
    Corona, CA
    Or remove them when the cab reaches its destination... Better coupling to the floor, anyway.
    If you're handy enough with a drill, it's fairly simple.

10. You can get these directly from Epifani, and they come with the rubber feet, the screws, the plates and castors. I think around $70 for four.

Here's a link a fellow TBer sent me to a wholesale source where the cost is less. They also have 3" versions (versus the small 2" that I have), if you want it a little more 'roll worthy'. I have no problems with the 2" wheels, but they aren't very good on sidewalks, gravel, etc.

http://www.tchweb.com/tchstore/category/casters/s0/511---Casters-and-Wheels.html

Hope that helps.

11. Dont! Install them on a piece of 3/4" ply and make a dolly. That can be used for everything. Use 4" casters or bigger.

Paul

12. Vanceman

Vanceman

Feb 14, 2007
    So. Cal.
    How is drilling 16 small holes in the bottom and filling them with screws gonna hurt the cab?

13. IvanMike

IvanMike Player Characters fear me... Supporting Member

Nov 10, 2002
    Middletown CT, USA
    in general sliding casters like KJ posted or even popouts or fixed casters won't mess with the tone of the cab installed properly. Most casters will have directions including drill bits to buy.

casters for a UL? i dunno if it's worth it. those are pretty light. 3" and up are kinda mandatory if you're using them for moving across most terrain. a dolly, collapsible hand truck, cart-a-bag, etc might be more the ticket.

as far as coupling with the stage/floor this is a two edged sword. 10% of the time it works great - the other 90% has the potential to cause nasty problems. You'll notice very high end speakers for home use use points to contact the floor.

14. Jim C

Jim C Is that what you meant to play or is this jazz? Supporting Member

Nov 29, 2008
    Bethesda, MD
    I mounted a piece of 3/4 plywood to the bottom of my Berg that had countersunk scews for 3" castors

15. Fekwood

Fekwood The Mighty Beer Atom! Supporting Member

Jan 18, 2010
    Portland, OR
    I'm in the same situation. Looking to put casters on my Markbass 410.
    I simply clicked on the banner ad I see sometimes at the top of TB pages.
    http://www.reliablehardware.com/casters.aspx
    Also this looks like a nifty hand cart, for about the same price as a set of quality casters w/ removable plate mounts.
    http://www.globalindustrial.com/p/m.../best-value-folding-hand-cart-275-lb-capacity

For casters, would it be beneficial to get two with brakes and two with out? That way a cab wouldn't roll around like R2-D2 in the truck or on stage.