1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Question about internal soldering/wiring inside G&K

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Brick Top, Apr 7, 2009.

1. Brick Top

Brick Top

Dec 7, 2008
    Michigan
    I bought this nice little G&K 800RB knowing that it had a problem. Something loose. It would work fine...but vibration and or a knock would send it all screwy. I took it in to our only local music shop...and after a week he said the wiring on the return jack of the effects loop on the back was loose. He soldered it...and I brought it home. It worked great after about a 1/2 hour of shaking the house...I shut it down and did some errands.

When I returned I plugged a cable into the return jack of the G&K with nothing connected on the other end yet. When I powered it up....almost nothing. It had a buzz...so I unplugged the return jack cable. The buzz went away...but I have almost next to no volume.

I looked inside where he soldered it....and it looks fine except I noticed the send and return jacks have been soldered together in one spot. I wasn't sure if that is the way these jacks get soldered. Anyone have any experience with the inside of the G&K 800RB?

Cheers,
    BT

2. JOME77

JOME77 Supporting Member

Aug 18, 2002
    Georgia
    With a series effects loop you can't put anything into the signal chain without completing the circuit (input and output)

As for your loose of volume now, the effects loop jacks short out when nothing is plugged into them (to complete the loop). It sounds like one of the jacks isn't making complete continouity. You might try plugging a 1/4" jack in and out several times. It might spring it back into place.

3. BassmanPaul

BassmanPaul Gold Supporting Member

Aug 25, 2007
    Toronto Ontario Canada
    Jumper the in and out jacks with a signal cable and see if the volume returns. If it does you have dirty jacks. If it does not it's tech time.

Paul

4. Brick Top

Brick Top

Dec 7, 2008
    Michigan
    Thanks for the replys guys. I jumped the gun and took it back to the shop...thinkin he might have a quick look at it, seeing as though he was the one that soldered the jack. But he didn't have time...so I left it there and now they're closed for the night. Gonna have to call him tomorrow.

What you guys are saying makes sense. I wish I would of posted the question before taking it back. I miss it already.:bassist:

Cheers,
    BT