Question About International Shipping

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by slipperyPete, Jul 14, 2005.

1. Hi, I was wondering if anyone can give me some details about shipping a bass from the U.S. to other places in the world.

I am planning to sell my bass on Ebay and would like to offer worldwide shipping, but I am unclear as to who has to pay the VAT and/or import taxes or other fees. Also, does anyone know how much paperwork/time it will take?

Any information, advice, or experiences with worldwide shipping are appreciated.
  2. Blackbird

Blackbird Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Mar 18, 2000
    I've had a recent experience in which I sold two of my basses to a buyer in the UK. It was my first attempt and it worked fairly well, but I don't think I'll do it again, because:

1) Shipping can be very expensive. UPS wanted to charge me roughly $400 minimum. I ended up using USPS (Postal service), but the delivery time was 4 - 6 weeks. There is a tracking option, but that also raises the price considerably.

2) As far as paperwork, there isn't much. Mostly the normal stuff, plus a declaration of the value of the instrument. Duties are paid by the buyer at the receiving end, unless you have a different agreement beforehand.

3) Finally, since you're dealing with an international geographic/legal jurisdiction, you may have other complications, such as time zones, not to mention the sheer distance, which may complicate matters if the sale goes awry, god forbid.

I've done over 100 successful transactions on eBay and have found that there are plenty of buyers in the US and Canada to provide an adequate client base.

Better yet, sell it on TalkBass. Then you got a better chance to get the bass back if you ever regret having sold it! :D
  3. Thanks for the information Blackbird, to respond...

1) I'm not worried about the price of shipping, I will be stating that for International bidders (as well as U.S. ones) they must pay all shipping charges, including insurance.

2) Good to know I won't have to deal with those import charges myself, I was most worried about this part.

3) Complications are never fun, if the buyer pays for insured shipping though, wouldn't that eleviate me from having to deal with issues that may arise?

I want to sell to people outside of US and Canada because there seems to be a demand for Rickenbackers over seas, meaning I may potentially get more for it.

I would sell it on Talkbass, however I am not a supporting member (yet...) and I really have no disposable money (yes not even $20) to do it right now, unless Talkbass will take a post-dated payment until about the middle of September :rolleyes:

Again thanks for the information.