Question about Jackson basses

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by FTK, May 24, 2002.

1. FTK

Apr 24, 2002
    Wa. State
    I had sold off all my bass gear when the family started... back in '89... wow, that was a long time ago!! Anyway, I decided last year to buy another bass and rig to get back into it again.

I went to GC and tried out all the basses under $500 and came to the conclusion that I liked the playability and sound of the Jackson compared to the others.

My question is, why doesn't anyone have Jackson basses? I understand there are better brands out there for more money, but Jackson makes an upper end bass. What is it that you guys do not like about Jackson?

2. Blackbird

Blackbird Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Mar 18, 2000
    Well, TalkBass has an influential group of musicians, but we don't control the market, otherwise, You'd be able to subscribe to basses like you subscribe to a newspaper.

It's not that Jackson basses are any worse than anything else out there. It's just that a lot of developments have occurred to basses in the past decade and as far as I know, Jackson had nothing to do with any of it. Maybe they decided to focus on guitars, who knows?

If I found a Jackson bass that I really liked for a price I was willing to pay, I'd take it. Nine times out of ten, a better deal can be had, though.
  3. FTK

Apr 24, 2002
    Wa. State
    I would agree with that statement once you get into the upper end basses, but for basses under $500 I couldn't find a better deal.. (new).

More than anything I am just wondering what it is about Jackson that turns people away. I have to admit that I haven't been out there trying out different basses and this probably seems like a loaded question.
  4. Planet Boulder

Planet Boulder Hey, this is a private Supporting Member

Nov 10, 2001
    6,482 feet above sea level
    I once had impure thoughts. Oh, and I pluck my ear hair.
    FTK: Personally, I just don't care for the way they play or sound. I last noodled around on a couple at Guitar-Mullet Center about a year ago and was decidedly underwhelmed.

Well, the hardware was, in a word, cheesey. The bridge, tuners, etc., struck me as being poorly made and flimsy.

Soundwise, I found nothing terribly remarkable about them. Construction-wise, they were basic, nothing more. The fretwork is uneven at best and the necks are average.

Basically, I equate them to the lower-to-mid-range Ibanez SRs. There simply is nothing about them that makes me want to buy them over something else in that range.

Think about it this way - for $450.00 bucks, which would you rather have, a Jackson or an MTD Kingston? Though they may have similar price tags, they aren't even in the same class. I've played a Kingston and, save for the passive electronics, was VERY impressed for a bass in that range.

Finally, one of the main reasons that Jackson's name is not well respected is due to the image it forged during the 80s. Like Dean, Jackson was known as being a choice of 80s Cheese-metal bands. The slanted headstocks, angular designs, etc. really left a bad taste in people's mouths.

The difference between Jackson and Dean lies in the fact that Dean has made tremendous strides in its bass construction. That Dean Razor Neckthru is a virtual steal! In fact, I haven't played a new Dean that wasn't a great value. Jackson, on the other hand, seems stuck in the late 80's, quality-wise and definitely image-wise.

Sorry if this seems harsh (it isn't meant to be), but that's just my opinion.
  5. Blackbird

Blackbird Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Mar 18, 2000
    You should look into the Conklin Groove Tools line. Also the MTD's as Planet "Stop that pidgeon now!" Boulder mentioned. Also check out Peavey. This is a Fury bass. it can be had for ~$400[​IMG]
  6. HeavyDuty

HeavyDuty Supporting Curmudgeon Staff Member Gold Supporting Member

Jun 26, 2000
    Suburban Chicago, IL
    I don't know. The local used store has an as-new Jackson 5 (no pun intended) that's quite nice. And I'd still love to have one of their USA short-scale double cutaways (the JJ?).

I think they suffer from their pointy guitar and big hair past...pass me the leopard-skin spandex and hair mousse, someone.
  7. Lackey

May 10, 2002
    Los Angeles
    Jacksons are the best bass under $500? Hmph,, Squiers can be had for under 200 and are about the same construction quality. Plus IMO the Jacksons are kinda boring/ugly looking,, the canvas for some hideous airbrushed catwoman or something haha.

MTD Kingston is the best bass under $500 IMO.
  8. I have a Jackson a js40 it was my first bass I like it but I still prefer my ESP f204.
  9. petch

petch Supporting Member

Mar 25, 2001
    Medina, Ohio
    I had a Jackson C5A. Played easily, low action, ordinary hardware, looked pretty good, flabby B string. The problem with that bass is that it doesn't SOUND very good- the pickups are weak. I replaced it with a Peavey Millennium which is an absolutely ass kicking bass. In your price range I would check the Kingston...
  10. FTK

Apr 24, 2002
    Wa. State
    Thanks for all the input guys! That was what I wanted to hear. I wish some of the basses mentioned would have been available at the GC I visited!! I should qualify my statement about the Jackson being the best bass for under $500. I think it was the best bass Guitar Center had in stock for under $500.

I am actually eyeing a Warwick Rockbass - Corvette SE right now. I think it will make my Jackson sound like a toy!!!