1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Question about Jazz bass pickup spacing

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by theophilus762, Jul 19, 2007.

1. theophilus762

theophilus762 Supporting Member

Nov 4, 2006
    Durham, NC
    Hello,

Just out of curiosity, I was wondering what the difference is between 60's jazz and 70's jazz pickup spacing. I hear people refer to this characteristic very often and I'm not sure what the differences are.

Also, what other main differences are there between 60's jazzes and 70's jazzes?

Thanks a lot.

Joash

2. Rocinante_x1

Rocinante_x1 Plus ça change, plus c'est la même chose Supporting Member

Aug 22, 2004
    Washington State
    The 70's pickup spacing and the 60's jazz spacing are different. The 70's bass Has the bridge pickup 1/4'' Closer to the bridge than the '60's jazz bass does.

This makes for more growl.

3. SuperSnake2012

SuperSnake2012 floppy b strings

Dec 12, 2006
    Bronx, NY
    IIRC Jazz basses made after 1973 or 1974 also have a 3 bolt neck plate where the '60s ones are all 4 bolts. The four bolt neck keeps the neck in place better. '70s Jazz basses also have blocked necks with binding. IMO the Geddy Lee bass is the best of both worlds, since you get the '70s pickup position, and the 4 bolt neck. :smug: It's a reissue of the 1972 Jazz bass.

4. theophilus762

theophilus762 Supporting Member

Nov 4, 2006
    Durham, NC
    sweet thats basically what i was looking for.

how are current fenders designed in comparison to the 60s and 70s jazz's?

5. Rocinante_x1

Rocinante_x1 Plus ça change, plus c'est la même chose Supporting Member

Aug 22, 2004
    Washington State

Well, I think the Fender basses now, are more closely based on the 60's design. This is just a guess though. Someone, correct me if im wrong.