Question about Jazz Bass series wiring

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by bobsacamano3, May 10, 2016.

1. bobsacamano3

bobsacamano3

May 10, 2016
    So I took my jazz bass to a local music store the other day and asked them to wire my pickups in series instead of the standard parallel wiring. Today I picked the bass up and brought it home to try it out... oddly enough it sounds, to my ears, almost identical to how it sounded before the modification. I decided to open up the pickguard and control plate to take a look inside. By no means am I an electronics wizard, but I don't think that my pickups were wired in series... Can someone please verify whether I'm right or wrong? Hopefully my explanation is clear enough.

Neck pickup white wire is attached to the neck volume pot middle lug. Neck pickup black wire is soldered to the back of the neck volume pot.
    Middle pickup white wire is attached to the bridge volume pot middle lug. Bridge pickup black wire is soldered to the back of the bridge volume pot.

A separate series of wires runs from the neck volume pot first lug to the bridge volume pot first lug, to the tone pot middle lug, then on to the right side of the input jack.

Also, a series of wires runs from where the neck pickup is soldered to the back of the neck volume pot (neck pickup black wire described above) to where the bridge pickup is soldered to the back of the bridge volume pot (bridge pickup black wire described above) then on to the back of the tone pot. From this solder point the wiring splits; one wire from the back of the tone pot to the left side of the input jack, another from the back of the tone pot to an orange circle thing, then onto the tone pot third lug.

The ground is wired from the bridge to the back of the bridge tone pot where the other wires are soldered.

Please excuse my complete lack of technical terms. Any help would be appreciated... I just want to see if the job was done correctly, or if I need to take my bass back to the shop.

2. What you have described is standard parallel wiring. The shop probably didn't do anything at all.

For series wiring, you would wire EXACTLY like a P bass. Note that you are not going to have two volume pots anymore. One of them would have no function, if you left it in. There is a modified scheme for series with two volumes, but it is not entirely practical. In any case, I don't see much sense in wiring a Jazz bass for series wiring only. 99% of players just add a switch (push/pull or mini toggle) to go between series and parallel, so that the original wiring remains an option.

Hopkins and Torrente Cro like this.
  3. It you wired it in constant series mode it would be:
    1. Neck pickup white to center lug of neck volume pot
    2. Neck pickup black to bridge pickup white
    3. Bridge pickup black to ground.

Most like to wire them to a switch either (mini toggle, volume pot with push pull DPDT switch attached)
    I personally like the Fender S-1 switch with S-1 knobs as he. easier to wire up and looks much better

twocargar likes this.
  4. Since there will only be one volume pot, there is no reason to keep it wired backwards. The pickup should be wired to the first terminal of the volume pot, and the center terminal should go to the jack. This gives better control.

LoveThatBass likes this.
  5. Good idea. Will also keep the loading of the pickup at a minimum and constant.

6. bobsacamano3

bobsacamano3

May 10, 2016
    Thanks for the replies guys! Does anybody by chance have a diagram? Something to take to the shop to have them correct the wiring...

7. A diagram for which wiring scheme?

8. bobsacamano3

bobsacamano3

May 10, 2016
    This one... series wiring without the S-1 switch.

9. Pickup Series Wiring

I modded my Jazz with the push/pull pot series/parallel. Most of the time it's in the series position. Love it.

bobpond likes this.
  10. bobsacamano3

bobsacamano3

May 10, 2016
    Thanks again... I have another Jazz, so I thought I would try something different with this one.

11. I wire all of my jazz basses with a push/pull pot for series parallel using the diagram at Seymour Duncan, sorry don't have a link right now. Hardwiring to series is probably a bad plan.

12. That is a bad diagram.

The tone control is miswired, and the volume pot is backwards. You want the wiper terminal to be your output, not your input.

This is the proper wiring:
    [​IMG]

twocargar likes this.
  13. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

May 27, 2022