1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Question about KSDs and MTD Kingston..

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Demon, Dec 6, 2006.

1. Demon

Demon

Mar 17, 2006
    Sweden, Stockholm
    Hey, i was wondering what you guys thought about KSD basses? Iwas thinking about the 5 string fretless, Proto V 70 J or something. Also, ive been interested in MTD kingston 5er fretless, but the white pickguard turned me of. I dont like the shape of it. Is there any solution? I could stand it if it was like black, or blue or something cool, but not white:/

2. Weren't pickguards deleted from the current line of Kingstons and Heirs?

3. They make the Kingston Heir, which has a J pickup added and no pickguard. You can get them with or without a flame maple top.

4. Demon

Demon

Mar 17, 2006
    Sweden, Stockholm
  5. Dont take too much stock in what they actually have on the website. Better to email them about what they have in stock. They rarely update their webpage.

6. MobileHolmes

MobileHolmes I used to be BassoP

Nov 4, 2006
    Iowa

I played a couple KSD 4s (one 60s, one 70s) yesterday and had pretty mixed feelings

Pros
    very good fit and finish
    very good playability

Cons
    Very noisy preamps
    Weird popping noises when you turned the volume on one of them.
    Not my cup o' tea sound wise. The 60s wasn't bad, but the 70s was kind of dead sounding, really lacking in the highs. I'm wondering if there was something wrong with this bass. It seems like the Ash/Maple combo would be brighter than the alder/rosewood, but that wasn't at all the case.

I suppose worth a look if you have a dealer nearby. I was going to suggest maybe a Marcus Miller V, but they are way more than the 4 string. I played an MM 4 last week, and preferred it to the KSD's even though they were roughly the same money.

7. Demon

Demon

Mar 17, 2006
    Sweden, Stockholm
    Thanks, will do that! Would sending a mail asking what fretless 5 string basses they have be to much you think?

8. Probably, they have a huge stock. Give them a fairly small price range, maybe a $100-200 spread. Or just ask them if they have a few different basses that you have in mind and if they have anything else that they think is similar.

9. WKelly

WKelly

Oct 19, 2006
    As far as the MTD goes...just take the pickguard off. Just unscrew it and pitch it, which is what I did.

As far as the KSD's do, I have never played one, but I have owned 7 high end Ken Smith basses, from 5Ps to 5GN neck thru's. Honestly, the MTD Kingston 5 is a lot of bass for the money, and IMO a better value than the really expensive basses, brand notwithstanding.

I would have never said this a year ago, but since I picked up a cherry MTD Kingston 5 (right after I sold my Ken Smith BSR5MS neckthru), I might never spend that much money on a bass again. The MTD feels awesome, has great fretwork, 35" scale, zero fret, and decent finish and sounds as good as the player playing it. I paid $250 used for mine. With my eyes closed, I couldnt tell you that the bass didn't cost 2K.

Compare that to the 4600 I spent on my Smith. They accomplish the same task, and I sound good on either! ;)

10. dannoman

dannoman Supporting Member

Feb 3, 2004
    [​IMG]

Here's what the MTD Kingstons look like now...

11. Demon

Demon

Mar 17, 2006
    Sweden, Stockholm
    wow, those look great! WAY better looking than with that ugly pickguard:p

12. gkbass13

gkbass13 Supporting Member

Mar 29, 2006
    New York
    i kind of dig the pg on the kingstons. im a big fan of the heir basses as well, great basses for the money.

13. BoneMachine

BoneMachine

Sep 29, 2006
    I actually get a lot of compliments on my Kingston. People like the white pickguard on the flamed maple tobacco sunburst:)
    If you can get your hands on a Kingston, do so, those are great basses. They are a bit hard to acquire in Europe though. I had to wait almost 8 months for mine...

14. DWBass

DWBass The Funkfather Supporting Member

I may as well throw this out there............The MTD is WAY lighter than the KSD! So if weight is an issue for you.............

15. Demon

Demon

Mar 17, 2006
    Sweden, Stockholm
    Yes, that helps! Also is the neck on the 5er wide? and hows the string spacing.

16. DWBass

DWBass The Funkfather Supporting Member

Yes, I believe all the MTD 5'ers have standard 4 string spacing. The neck is wide but flat which make for easy, fast playing. They are also 35" scale. Did I mention they are 'light' basses? ;)

17. Demon

Demon

Mar 17, 2006
    Sweden, Stockholm
    Haha. thanks again. What worries me a bit is "Wide". Do you mean its wider than most 5 stringers or normal for a 5er? I dont have a big hand or long fingers, so it would be a pain to reach the E and B string with my fretting hand. Especially when changing fast=/ Also, is 19mm normal for a 5string?

18. Demon

Demon

Mar 17, 2006
    Sweden, Stockholm
    bump:O

19. Demon

Demon

Mar 17, 2006
    Sweden, Stockholm
    Another bump. Only need the last questions i posed answered:) And this:

20. 1kinal

1kinal Supporting Member

Jan 18, 2006
    Montreal, Qc. Canada
    Endorsing Artist: SIT strings
    I wouldn't worry about the "wide" neck. The string spacing is 19mm which is considered wide but in fact many builders use this spacing.

I also have small hands and in fact I prefer the neck on my MTD to the small neck of my other main bass (which has 18mm spacing). You might feel it wide at first but you'll really get used to it in a positive way.

Many will agree with me that the MTD neck's are among if not the most comfortable neck(s) on the market.