Question about Kubicki Basses

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by LajoieT, Jun 10, 2005.

1. LajoieT

LajoieT I won't let your shadow be my shade...

Oct 7, 2003
    Western Massachusetts
    I was in one of the local music shops today and they actually had a used Kubicki in there. It's the first time I've ever actually run into one and been able to play with it.

It was an unlined fretless, and I bit on fretless big time, so we'll leave that alone and I won't comment on it's playability probably because any problems were on my end.

Now the questions. The clip that holds down the E string (or maybe you would call it the D string). Is there no way to get it to stay up? I could raise it, but had to hold it up. If I let go it went right back to fretting the E. Holding that thing up kinda made it hard to play at the same time, but I couldn't figure out if I was missing something. Was I?

Secondly, the neck. I've never heard the neck discussed in any of the threads about them, but this one was what looked like a VERY high number of maple laminate strips, like 30 or so. The entire neck was made with 1/8 inch strips of maple? I have no doubt that the neck is incredibly stable due to this, but I'm surprised that nobody mentioned it before.

Lastly, they were asking around $1k for it. It's in decent shape, obviously played, but not necessarily abused. I that a reasonable used price for these? There was a crack in the paint ( it was a black center with blue burst edges ) in the back around the corner of the neck pocket, which if I were interested in buying it I would check to be sure it's just in the paint, and not in the wood.
  2. Rodent

Rodent Supporting Member Commercial User

Dec 20, 2004
    Upper Left Corner (Seattle)
    Player-Builder-Founder: Regenerate Guitar Works
    When you lift it up, gently push the E string to the side and then allow the 'capo' to rest in its recessed position. This will give you a low D - but without the need to adjust your fretting position to get any of the fretted notes.

One thing you'll notice is that the neck is made up of numerous 3/32" thick laminates that will provide you an extremely stable neck.

I haven't followed prices on these since I sold my red X-Factor back in '94. The Bass Palace has had a green one for about six months now at $1389.

I never did quite like the tone of the 32" scale, but having a headless bass that can use regular strings was quite cool in its day. I did really dig the Low D, as this eliminated the need for me to have a 5-string bass for the majority of the work I did while I had it.