1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to post, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Question about Kubicki Basses

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by LajoieT, Jun 10, 2005.

1. LajoieT

LajoieT I won't let your shadow be my shade...

Oct 7, 2003
    Western Massachusetts
    I was in one of the local music shops today and they actually had a used Kubicki in there. It's the first time I've ever actually run into one and been able to play with it.

It was an unlined fretless, and I bit on fretless big time, so we'll leave that alone and I won't comment on it's playability probably because any problems were on my end.

Now the questions. The clip that holds down the E string (or maybe you would call it the D string). Is there no way to get it to stay up? I could raise it, but had to hold it up. If I let go it went right back to fretting the E. Holding that thing up kinda made it hard to play at the same time, but I couldn't figure out if I was missing something. Was I?

Secondly, the neck. I've never heard the neck discussed in any of the threads about them, but this one was what looked like a VERY high number of maple laminate strips, like 30 or so. The entire neck was made with 1/8 inch strips of maple? I have no doubt that the neck is incredibly stable due to this, but I'm surprised that nobody mentioned it before.

Lastly, they were asking around $1k for it. It's in decent shape, obviously played, but not necessarily abused. I that a reasonable used price for these? There was a crack in the paint ( it was a black center with blue burst edges ) in the back around the corner of the neck pocket, which if I were interested in buying it I would check to be sure it's just in the paint, and not in the wood.

2. Rodent

Rodent A Killer Pickup Line™ Supporting Member Commercial User

Dec 20, 2004
    Upper Left Corner (Seattle)
    Player-Builder-Founder: Honey Badger Pickups & Regenerate Guitar Works
    When you lift it up, gently push the E string to the side and then allow the 'capo' to rest in its recessed position. This will give you a low D - but without the need to adjust your fretting position to get any of the fretted notes.

One thing you'll notice is that the neck is made up of numerous 3/32" thick laminates that will provide you an extremely stable neck.

I haven't followed prices on these since I sold my red X-Factor back in '94. The Bass Palace has had a green one for about six months now at $1389.
    http://basspalace.com/dynamic/displaybass/4StringBass/3683

I never did quite like the tone of the 32" scale, but having a headless bass that can use regular strings was quite cool in its day. I did really dig the Low D, as this eliminated the need for me to have a 5-string bass for the majority of the work I did while I had it.

R